UW Madison’s Enterprise Box Service
By logging in and using Box, you are agreeing to adhere to the following terms of service:
- Responsible Use
Personal Box accounts cannot be used to store HIPAA protected data (Protected Health Information, PHI), regardless if they were setup through UW-Madison or through a non-campus account. Specialized UW-Madison Enterprise Box Services are available for use with HIPAA protected data. See KB Article 66391 for additional requirements and getting started.
In general, UW-Madison Enterprise Box is suitable for sensitive information (https://kb.wisc.edu/itpolicy/cio-data-classification-policy) as long as the appropriate permission controls are in place. You should not store restricted data (https://it.wisc.edu/initiatives/security-initiatives-restricted-aspx/) on this service.
Individuals using this service are required to:
- Follow the UW System Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources Policy.
- Protect the privacy and confidentiality of student and other institutional information as required by FERPA (privacy of student information)
- In accordance with federal regulations and UW-Madison policies, all research involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved by an Institutional Review Board prior to any research intervention with a participant. See Human Research Protection Program for details.
- Comply with all other applicable University policies, State and Federal laws, including for example:
- System Use
- UW Madison’s Enterprise Box Service is available only to active UW-Madison students, faculty, staff and affiliates with a UW Madison Office365 email account. Emeritus staff and Retirees with IT Services also retain access to the Box Service.
- You are responsible for the integrity of your data files.
- We recommend that you keep backup copies of your critical files on other media, such as a local hard drive, CD-ROM, and/or zip disks. In the unlikely event that there is a system outage, your online files will not be accessible until service returns.
- Before you leave the University, be sure to download copies of your data to other media, such as a local hard drive, CD-ROM, and/or zip disks.
- UW Madison Enterprise Box administrators will verify your eligibility after each fall and spring semester begins. If you are no longer eligible for UW Madison Enterprise Box at those times, your files will be deleted.
- UW Madison Enterprise Box allows for unlimited storage.
- Privacy Statement
UW-Madison respects the legitimate privacy interests of UW Madison Enterprise Box Users within appropriate limits for educational, ethical and legal reasons.
- UW Madison Enterprise Box administrators routinely monitor the volume of UW Madison Enterprise Box traffic for system management purposes.
- Usage may also be subject to security testing and monitoring.
- If the University receives a credible report that a violation has occurred, or if, in the course of managing the service, discovers evidence of a violation, then the matter will be referred for investigation, University disciplinary action, and/or criminal prosecution.
- Complaints that specific material violates the law or University policy should be reported to Badger Incident Response Team (BadgIRT), as described at:
https://it.wisc.edu/reporting-an-incident-to-it-security/ or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are employed by the University, you should be aware that any documents that you save or publish in the UW Madison Enterprise Box may be subject to the Wisconsin Open Records Act. For more information on the Records Management, please go to: