SolidWorks 2019 for Windows
This article explains how to download and install SolidWorks 2019.
Downloading and Installing SolidWorks 2019 Version
CAE offers Solidworks to the College of Engineering at University of Wisconsin Madison through the Campus Software Library. In order to install and run locally installed remote software, you must have a CAE account as well as a NetID.
If you have any difficulties, please contact the CAE Helpdesk. You can call the helpdesk at (608) 262-5349, stop by the Helpdesk in room 116 or email at email@example.com. The CAE Helpdesk does not respond to help requests through comments on this website. For more information on when consultants are available at the helpdesk, please visit https://www.cae.wisc.edu/helpdesk/.
You *MUST* be connected to the CoE VPN (for grad students) or Licensing VPN (for undergrads) prior to following these installation steps as well as before opening up the SolidWorks software after installation.
Disclaimer: After initially activating your CAE account, it takes about 24 hours for SolidWorks to show up in the Campus Software Library for download.
For more information on how to connect to CoE VPN or Licensing VPN, please follow the steps listed in this KB article: https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/page.php?id=5573
1. Navigate to software.wisc.edu with an internet browser.
2. Click on "LOGIN TO THE CAMPUS SOFTWARE LIBRARY". Use your NetID and password to log in.
3. Under "Software for Engineering Students", click on "SolidWorks" and you should be prompted to this page:
4. Type in your Wisc email address under the "Downloads" section and click on "SolidWorks 2019 for Engineering Students". ***The serial number and license server information found under the "Downloads" section will be important later in the installation process. ***
Run the .exe file and select a folder to unzip the contents to.
5. Once the files are unzipped, the SolidWorks installer should begin automatically. If it doesn't, you can run the setup file in the folder you used in the previous step.
6. Choose the Installation type. Please select Individual (on this computer).
7. After that step, it should ask you to enter the serial number that is listed on the campus software download page from Step 4. You do not have any other Serial Numbers, so there is no need to check any other boxes on this page. NOTE: You do not need to fill in the last 2 boxes! The installer will automatically populate the remaining boxes after the warning prompt in the next step.
8. Most users will not need to modify the components to be installed. You must agree to the Terms and Conditions, then select Download and Install.
9. A prompt will appear. Please specify the license location as "firstname.lastname@example.org" without the quotations.
10. You will be asked whether this is the correct licensing. Select "Yes". The installation should now proceed and complete. The necessary files will be downloaded from Solidworks first, so this may take a while, depending on your internet speed.
11. Once all files are downloaded, you may get a dialog box that asks if you want to pause the installation or install SolidWorks. Click Install.
Note: Whenever you access SolidWorks, the Engineering Licensing (or CoE) VPN must be running.
If you have any difficulties, please contact the CAE Helpdesk. You can call the helpdesk at (608) 262-5349, stop by the Helpdesk in 116 CAE or email at email@example.com. The CAE Helpdesk does not respond to help requests through comments on this website. For more information on when consultants are available at the helpdesk, please visit https://www.cae.wisc.edu/helpdesk/.