Transferring files with WinSCP
WinSCP is one of the FTP (file transfer protocol) programs of choice in the CAE because it uses Secure FTP (sftp). Other programs can be used for non-sensitive information but may be accessed by anyone.
- Step 1. Install WinSCP
- You can download a copy from WinSCP's website.
- Step 2. Start WinSCP
- Start WinSCP. When it's launched, it opens a configuration page that looks like this:
- Step 3. Configure WinSCP
- Enter the following information:
- File protocol: SFTP
- Host name: sftp.cae.wisc.edu
- Port number: 22
- User name: Your CAE username
- Password: We recommend you leave this BLANK for security reasons
- Step 4. Save the settings and connect to the servers
- Click Save... and enter a name for the connection, CAE Windows for example. Connect to the servers. Press Login, choose Yes at the warning screen, and enter your password when prompted. You should be connected to the server, which will look something like this:
- Step 5. Move your files
- You will see two panels once connected: the left panel shows your local directories and the right panel shows the remote (CAE) directories. You can navigate directories normally, where the ".." directory is the parent directory in the hierarchy. To copy a file, simply navigate to the folder where it's located, drag it from one panel to the other, and it will be copied into the destination folder. This works for copying both from your local computer to your CAE drive and from your CAE drive to your local computer.