Connecting Remotely to CAE Linux Machines from Mac
Instructions for running native VNC connections to CAE Linux labs from a Mac through an SSH tunnel
As an alternative to using SSVNC (see [Link for document 20309 is unavailable at this time.] ), you can use more robust, native VNC clients on your Mac OS. Use the following steps:
- Download and install a VNC program of your choosing. Depending on the client you install, you may need to open the downloaded Disk Image, and drag and drop the application into your Mac "Applications" folder to allow it to run. The following links are very good options:
- Open a terminal window and run the following command:
- ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 (your username)@best-tux.cae.wisc.edu.
- You will then be asked to approve the connection by typing yes or no. Type yes then type your CAE login password after the next prompt. Now you should have a secure connection to a Tux machine.
- Now, launch the VNC client that you've installed in step 1. To connect, you should set the server to "localhost:5900" and leave everything else to default. Or, use the native VNC client by doing the following:
- open Finder and press ⌘+k. In the Server Address enter vnc://localhost as well as the port number you want to use.