Topics Map > Financial
Topics Map > Academic > Credits & Courses
Topics Map > Academic > Other Policies & Procedures
CALS Policy on Special Fees for Courses
[This policy is due to be reviewed and revised by the CALS Deans' Team on 18 December 2017. Check back for updates.]
This document explains the policy on special fees for courses.
- CALS adopts, in total, the UW System policy on Special Course Fees (General Administrative Policy Paper 29, 10/23/91).
- Section III-B of the UW System policy describes the situations in which a special course fee MAY be charged. CALS adopts the following additional conditions that must be met in order to charge a special
- Teaching the course must require an extraordinary cost, well beyond the level that can reasonably be funded by the normal supply and expense budget of the department.
- These extraordinary costs cannot be covered as “incidentals” to the course, as specified in Section III-D of the UW System policy.
- The course clearly cannot be offered without the special charge.
- In dealing with requests for a special course fee, the dean will make a written determination, acting as the designee of the UW-Madison Chancellor under Section IV of the UW System policy.