Policy on the Pass/Fail Privilege

This document explains the policy and process for requesting the pass/fail privilege.

All undergraduate students are eligible to take a course on a pass/fail basis if they request the option prior to the deadline and are in good academic standing at the time they request pass/fail. When a course is taken on a pass/fail basis, the instructor reports a letter grade, which is converted by the registrar to an S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory). The grade of S shall be recorded by the registrar in place of instructors' grades of A, AB, B, BC, or C. The grade of U shall be recorded by the registrar in place of instructors' grades of D or F. Neither the S nor the U is used in computing the grade point average. A student must earn at least a C to receive credit for the course. In addition to the S or U notation, the student transcript includes the symbol # for courses taken on a pass/fail basis.

The following conditions apply to pass/fail courses:

Number of pass/fail courses: Undergraduates may carry one course on a pass/fail basis per term and a maximum of 16 credits during their undergraduate career. The summer sessions collectively count as a single term.

Exceptions: CALS is authorized to make exceptions to the pass/fail policy.

Notification: Students can see whether a course is pass/fail in their student center. Instructors are not notified when a student elects the pass/fail option.