New CALS Administration Employees Computing Checklist
A checklist for onboarding new CALS IT supported customers
Please use this checklist for new CALS Administration employees to ensure that they receive IT services from CALS IT.
The supervisor/office manager should complete these new employee services forms to the best of their ability indicating what computing access the employee will need for their position. Please complete the services form as soon as you have the employee hired (prior to start date is preferred!) to allow adequate time for account creations and computer setup/configuration. Additional time may be needed if new equipment or new software must be purchased.
- Complete the Employee Services > New Admin Employee form at: https://webhelpdesk.cals.wisc.edu
- Complete Campus System Authorization forms as needed. You can find a listing of authorization forms and description of campus IT systems at: https://kb.wisc.edu/itaccess/page.php?id=27215 Approval processing times will vary depending upon the Campus IT system requested but allow 5-7 days.
- Assist new employee with NetID and MFA activation. NetID activation instructions are generated by the CALS HR Assistant for your unit using the new employee's Emplid. This is useful so that new employees can activate and use their NetID and other core services prior to day one. Alternatively, the employee can activate their NetID using their campus id or photo id once they receive their photo id card.
- All employees should obtain a photo id after they arrive on campus. This can be done at the WisCard Office at Union South. More information about obtaining a WisCard can be found at: https://wiscard.wisc.edu/
- Schedule a new employee CALS IT orientation session. A ticket requesting an IT orientation is automatically generated when filling a Employee Services > New Admin Employee form at: https://webhelpdesk.cals.wisc.edu. Please include an ideal time for the IT orientation to help CALS IT mark off their time accordingly.
CALS IT Staff:
- Once the New Employee Services ticket is received, an ACS desktop support technician will followup with you regarding computing equipment needs.
- CALS IT will create necessary local system accounts and set permissions.
- CALS IT will create a new customer packet and deliver to the supervisor or designee. This packet will contact employee account information and other useful resources.
- CALS IT technician(s) will setup and configure computing hardware/software.
- CALS IT will provide an IT orientation session with the new employee as needed.