Topics Map > UW-Madison -- General Information

Food Stands in University Buildings and Elsewhere on Campus

Web  -- Food Safety -- Event Hosting


(608) 262-2511 -- Campus Event Services
(608) 890-3570 -- Environmental Health Safety Department
(608) 265-5610 --UHS Environmental and Occupational Health 

Campus Event Services: Monday-Friday--8:00 a.m.-5: 00p.m.
University Health Services: M, T, Th, F-- 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., W-- 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 



Room 233, Union South
1308 W. Dayton St.
Madison, WI 53715


Room 8501-6
333 East Campus Mall
Madison, WI 53715

A temporary food stand permit is required to receive donations for, or the sale of foods or beverages to the general campus community.

Link to permit for charitable and non-profit organizations: 

Link to permit for for-profit organizations and businesses:

For outdoor food stands the vendor must contact Campus Event Services in Union South for permission.

For indoor food stands, vendors must contact the building manager of the building in which they wish to sell their food. 

Before they begin selling, operators of all temporary food stands on university property must obtain a permit from the Environmental Health Program, located in 333 East Campus Mall (University Health Services), to sell food or beverage items on university property. The purpose of the permit is to provide education and inspection services to ensure safe food preparation and proper food handling procedures. Temporary permits must be applied for 2 weeks in advance and cost $5 per stand.

Student orgs are allowed 5 permits/semester for ready-to-eat food and 3/semester for food that must be prepared onsite.

Note: All food should be procured from the Wisconsin Union, University Housing, or a state licensed vendor. Doughnuts, cookies and other bakery products must be obtained from a licensed bakery. HOME BAKED GOODS ARE NOT PERMITTED. Temporary food stands involving cooking/grilling are required to have Special Events Insurance, which can be obtained from the office of Risk Management. (608) 262-8926.

To sell food items on "non-university" property (including State Street Mall and city sidewalks on campus) a food stand permit needs to be obtained from the Department of Public Health for Madison & Dane County, (608) 266-4821, and Madison City Clerks Office, (608) 266-4601.

Owner:Information Services Specialist .Group:Campus and Visitor Relations
Created:2009-06-07 19:00 CDTUpdated:2019-11-25 10:33 CDT
Sites:Campus and Visitor Relations
Feedback:  1   0