Topics Map > Safety & Security
Firearms Storage and Laws / University Police
(608) 264-2677 -- UW Police Department (Non-emergency)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Non-emergency, there is no online reporting - please call!)
UW-Madison Police Department
24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year
Monday- Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
1429 Monroe St
Madison, WI 53711
Per state law, concealed carry of weapons by individuals who are properly permitted is allowed throughout the state, including on campus grounds. The law allows members of the public to carry concealed firearms (with a permit), knives, tasers and billy clubs, except in areas where expressly prohibited by law. In addition, the law provides the university may continue to ban concealed weapons in:
- Campus buildings
- Athletic events
- Campus events
- Where appropriate signage has been posted
- Bring the firearm (UNLOADED) secured in a firearms case, along with a photo ID card to the UW Police Department at 1429 Monroe St.
- Turn over the (UNLOADED) firearm to a UW Police Officer. The Police Officer will return your ID and firearm case to you and secure your (UNLOADED) weapon in our armory.
- The Police Officer will issue you a receipt card documenting the specific firearm you turned over to us for storage. Keep this card in a safe location because you will need it to get your firearm back.