Canvas - Exporting your course materials from Moodle and importing them into Canvas (UW-Madison)
How to use the new Moodle to Canvas export tool.
Create an Export of your Moodle Course
Note: If you have uploaded media files to Moodle we recommend not exporting these to keep your backup to a reasonable size, and instead upload your media files to Kaltura MediaSpace. Please see Kaltura - Uploading Files to Kaltura Mediaspace (UW-Madison) Canvas courses have a 1 GB limit on instructor content.
- Log in to your Moodle course.
- On the left-hand side under Administration click on Export to Canvas:
- Click Create new export.
- Choose your conversion options. You can create placeholder activities (recommended) and/or create placeholder questions (recommended).
- Click Export. Wait for the export to complete. The page will refresh automatically.
- Click Download to download the file.
- Save the file somewhere on your computer where you'll remember to find it for the next step. Canvas courses currently have a quota of 1024 MB. If your Moodle export file is larger than 1024 MB, contact your local School and College support staff.
- Click Conversion report (to the far right of the Download link) to view a list of errors associated with the export. See this document to interpret and investigate possible workarounds.
Import your Moodle Backup into Canvas
- Login to your Canvas course.
- Click on Settings on course navigation menu.
- Click on Import Content into this Course on the right hand side of the screen:
- Next to Content Type click the drop-down menu and select Canvas Course Export Package.
- Click Choose File. Navigate to the file export you created in Moodle.
- Select either All Content or Select Specific Content depending on what you want to import.
- It is likely you will want to check Adjust Events and Due Dates since it is probable you are importing course materials from a previous semester and the dates won't match up. Often it is easiest to select Remove dates, but you can also select Shift dates.
- Click Import.
- Canvas will import your course content. Depending on the amount of content this can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more. Once the file has been uploaded Canvas will display a progress bar showing you that it is running and importing content.
- Once Canvas has completed importing your Moodle content it will show as completed and indicate if there were any issues.
- You can click on the blue link to issues to see a summary:
Make note of the issues to address in your Canvas course. Clicking on the highlighted issues will take you to that page in your Canvas course for you to edit. Thoroughly review the entire contents of the course, including any quizzes and question banks.