Topics Map > Human Resources
Monthly Payroll Process
This page provides guidance for staff and supervisors regarding the process for monthly payroll and the responsibilities of each individual including the Payroll Coordinator
- Ensure that payroll processes and payroll deadlines are being followed.
- Assist supervisors with payroll processes and questions.
- Run reports and respond to any discrepancies or errors shown on reports.
- Respond to questions and issues regarding payroll as they arise.
- Work with Office of Human Resources and/or Service Center (System Payroll Experts) as appropriate when and where necessary.
- Ensure year-end payroll process is identified and any issues are resolved.
- Monthly Payroll Instruction Process Document
- Inform staff of the unit's leave request policy/procedure and approval process.
- Ensure staff are entering their absence requests accurately and timely.
- Approve all absence requests on the 6th of the month for the previous month's absence requests (i.e. July absences approved by August 6th), with the exception of June, which is year-end payroll. If any issues arise that require follow up with staff, ensure absence request issues are resolved within the day.
- Work with staff to keep track of leave allocations and balances, ensure balances will cover requests before approving them, and resolve issues as they arise with staff and/or payroll coordinator.
- Ensure deadlines are met and to work with payroll coordinator on any questions about payroll and on any unique situations. To work with staff to resolve any issues as soon as possible as they surface. To assist with any year-end payroll tasks.
- Follow the units' leave request policy/procedure and approval process.
- Accurately and timely enter all absence requests by the 5th of the month for the previous month's absence requests (i.e. July absences entered by August 5th for supervisor approval) with the exception June, which is year-end payroll.
- Communicate with supervisors any issues or problems with their absences immediately upon discovering issues.
- Keep track of leave allocations and balances.
Day 1 (5th of the month)
Step 1: Staff enter absence requests. For assistance in entering absences, please view the following link: https://kb.wisc.edu/17318. To correct an absence please view the following link: .
Step 2: Payroll Coordinator will run missing leave report to ensure all absences are entered. If there are any missing entries, the employee and supervisor will receive the following email.
Day 2 (6th of the month)
Step 1: Supervisor reviews absence requests and ensures the absence requests are accurate and there is enough leave to cover the request. For steps on checking absence balances and approving absence requests, please view this link:
NOTE: June absence requests must be entered and approved proactively for the month of June by the sixth of June. For any other unanticipated requests that come through after this time for June absences, please work with the DDEEA Payroll Coordinator directly to ensure they are aware of the absences that will be entered.
Day 3 (week of HRS payroll processing, AKA 'Calc')
Step 1: Payroll Coordinator reviews Edit Report and the Leave Without Pay report to check for leave discrepancies. If necessary, payroll coordinator will communicate with employee and supervisor to resolve any issues that come up and make appropriate adjustments.