Topics Map > Career Opportunities
Postdoctoral Associate Opportunity in Universal Design for Learning and Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Duration: One year
Start Date: August 1, 2017
Salary: $48,000, plus benefits
Application Deadline: Applications must be received by email before 5pm EST on Friday April 28th, 2017
Questions: Any questions about this position can be directed to Jennifer Dickinson, CTL Director, at:
The University of Vermont seeks a Postdoctoral Scholar with a focus on Scholarship of Teaching and
Learning and familiarity with Universal Design for Learning for a one-year position based at the Center
for Teaching and Learning (www.uvm.edu/ctl). The Center for Teaching and Learning offers training and
support for faculty using the University’s LMS (Blackboard) as well as other instructional technologies.
CTL also provides training, consultations and support for best practices in course design and teaching.
Along with other faculty development units on campus, CTL promotes backward design and encourages
faculty to incorporate awareness of Universal Design for Learning into their course designs. In addition,
CTL provides training and assistance to academic programs and faculty interested in assessing student
learning outcomes. We see this postdoctoral position as an opportunity to expand faculty experience
with and knowledge of SoTL methods as valuable tools for understanding the success of design
interventions and for evaluating student learning at the course level.
The postdoctoral scholar will hold the title of Postdoctoral Associate and will work both independently
and with CTL staff, under the supervision of Dr. Jennifer Dickinson, CTL Director. The Postdoctoral
Associate will develop trainings and other faculty development opportunities for faculty interested in
developing and conducting SoTL studies. These faculty will include those who have already completed
our “Designing for Learning” series, which supports faculty in redesigning courses within a UDL and
backwards design framework. The scholar will also conduct individual consultations with faculty
interested in SoTL research. The ideal candidate would have experience with SoTL research, familiarity
with Universal Design for Learning, and a strong interest in pursuing a career in faculty development or
related fields. The PhD field of the scholar is open.
The Postdoctoral Fellow’s responsibilities will include:
• In collaboration with CTL staff, developing workshops on SoTL research design and methodology
and/or establishing an ongoing faculty learning community on SoTL
• Providing consultations and support for faculty interested in developing SoTL research projects,
including assisting with IRB applications
• Developing training materials and a “quick start/planning” guide for faculty interested in
The successful candidate will be supervised by the Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning. The
position carries a salary of $48,000 a year, plus benefits including health care.
▪ PhD or doctorate degree, discipline open. Research focus on, or experience conducting Scholarship of
Teaching and Learning preferred, but experience providing support for SoTL initiatives also considered.
Applicants should have completed all of the degree requirements for the PhD at the time of application.
▪ Applicants must be familiar with, or preferably have worked in the area of Universal Design for Learning
and be interested in working with faculty in a Universal Design for Learning framework.
▪ The successful applicant will have:
▪ experience in and good knowledge of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
▪ experience writing IRB applications and ability to assist faculty in writing IRB applications
for SoTL research.
▪ interest in faculty development and ability/potential to design faculty development
initiatives, draft informational and instructional materials on SoTL for faculty, and
collaborate effectively with colleagues;
▪ strong oral and written communication skills;
▪ ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a faculty development
Applicants should send the following materials via email with the subject line “CTL Postdoctoral
Position” to Jennifer Dickinson, Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning (firstname.lastname@example.org) and cc
Wendy Verrei-Berenback (email@example.com) prior to the application deadline of 5 pm EST on Friday,
April 28th, 2017:
• Full-length CV emphasizing experience and research in the areas of SoTL, UDL and faculty
• Cover letter detailing your interest in this position, your approach to faculty development,
relevant experience/expertise in the areas emphasized in the CV, and ideas for developing and
implementing the training/consultation component of the postdoc as outlined in the position
• Two letters of recommendations from a faculty member or faculty development professional
with whom you have worked on related issues. These letters should be requested and sent
under separate cover to the email addresses above by the deadline.