Post-doctoral Researcher in Chemistry Education, University of Iowa
Applications are invited for a post-doctoral researcher in Chemistry Education in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Iowa.
The initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of extension based on performance and the availability of funding. The salary will be $48,432.00 to commensurate.
Duties and responsibilities:
The successful candidate will work on a project addressing chemistry students’ ideas about models and modelling in the general chemistry curriculum. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Design assessments, including interview protocols
- Collect survey and semi-structured interview data
- Analyze qualitative data in Nvivo
- Describe, in writing, themes emerging from analyses
- Develop research-based curricular activities that engage students in the practice of constructing and using mathematical and models
Candidates must have a Ph.D. in chemical education, science education, or a closely related field.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong chemistry content knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong teaching and mentoring skills
- Experience in qualitative data collection and data analysis using software packages such as Nvivo
- Strong record of publication and scholarly writing
- Past experience working with students’ mathematical reasoning and/or students’ engagement in science practices
- Curricular development experience
- Experience in quantitative data analysis
Apply at: https://jobs.uiowa.edu/postdoc/view/3029
Applications must include a Curriculum Vita, name and contact information for three references, and a cover letter.
Review of applications will begin on September 4 and will continue until the position has been filled. Preferred start date is January, 2019. Questions regarding the position may be directed to Prof. Nicole Becker, Nicolefirstname.lastname@example.org.