WiscList Migration to Google Groups FAQ
Frequently asked questions about migrating from WiscLists
Campus is moving the email list service from WiscList to Google Groups. If you are a list owner, you can migrate your list any time between now and December 20, 2020. Here are some helpful links with information about this migration:
- How to migrate a standard list with under 3000 members.
- To migrate a standard list with more than 3000 members, please contact DoIT for consultation.
- Migration timeline, strategy, an list management plans for standard WiscLists.
- Migration timeline, strategy, an list management plans for custom WiscLists.
- Migration timeline, strategy, an list management plans for ClassLists.
MERIT has tested the WiscList migration function, and have found the following information out:
- Migration is fast - it only took a few minutes once we hit the migrate button.
- When you migrate the list, it will remove all non-admin members from the WiscList, and will add the new Google Group as a member. This acts as the forward to the new list, so you should not delete the WiscList after you migrate as that will delete the forward.
- Due to the above change, if you want to have a backup of what the group looked like before you migrated it, be sure to export the data before you migrate the list.