Topics Map > General Information > Beginner Resources
Topics Map > Assets > Emails > Design Editor
Topics Map > Assets > Emails > HTML Editor
Previewing Emails in Different Modes
If you have selected a responsive template (one of the pink layouts) in Eloqua's drag-and-drop Design Editor, it is automatically responsive. This means it is designed to respond to your reader's chosen device and render correctly. In general, Eloqua will reorganize and stack your content top to bottom and left to right. It can be helpful to preview your email to ensure it will respond how you wish.
There are two places you can preview your email.
Quick preview toggle
You can find a Full/Mobile toggle in the upper right corner of the email editor.
By switching the toggle back and forth, you can check how your email is laid out in full or desktop mode or mobile or phone mode. This is a great way to quickly ensure your high priority content does not fall too far down your email. Here's an example of what that looks like:
You cannot edit your email while toggled to Mobile. Once you have checked the mobile view, switch the toggle back to Full to make any adjustments.
Actions > Preview
Using the Preview command allows you to quickly validate your email content using different screen sizes and contacts. You can preview your email in desktop, tablet and mobile mode. You can also check any personalization, such as field merges or dynamic content. The preview includes the following parts of the email:
- The sender name, email address, and subject line
- The email sender's signature, populated with information based on signature rules
- The email header and footer
- All of the email content
- Save your work! Otherwise, your preview will be blank.
- In the menu in the upper right corner, select Actions > Preview.
- In the Preview Email window that opens, you need to search and then select who you want to preview the email as. (Remember, it does not notify them or send them the email. You are just viewing the email as if you were them.)
- Type the name or email address of the contact you want to preview in the search bar in the upper right corner.
- Then select that contact and click Preview. You can also select multiple contacts using the Shift or Ctrl keys.
- In the next screen, your email will preview as if you were sending it to the contact(s) you selected. Any dynamic content and field merges should show.
- You can also select whether to preview your email in Desktop, Tablet or Mobile view by clicking the buttons in the top center.
- If you are on Tablet or Mobile view, you can toggle between horizontal and vertical by clicking the button in the upper right corner.
You cannot click on your links in this view. Test send to test links.
- When you are done previewing, click Cancel to return to your email.
- Eloqua does not preview specific email clients, browsers, or operating systems. If you need this, you may want to check out Litmus or a similar service.
- You can also send a test of your email to yourself or others.
- Eloqua has guidance on responsive emails if you use shared content or dynamic content.