Topics Map > Technology
Topics Map > EPD Instructor Resources > Course Technologies
Topics Map > EPD Instructor Resources > Teaching & Learning > Tools & Technology
EPD - Teaching & Learning - Tools & Technology - Kaltura
Kaltura is UW-Madison's choice media hosting and delivery platform.
Kaltura is UW-Madison's choice media hosting and delivery platform. It is often described as "YouTube for UW-Madison." Faculty, staff and students can upload media content to UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace. Media can then be linked to, embedded in a Canvas course, or website (UW-Madison).
The UW-Madison Canvas learning management system features integration with Kaltura MediaSpace. Media can be embedded wherever the Canvas rich content editor is available. This integration offers some functionality of Kaltura MediaSpace (record, upload, publish, search, and share) directly from within Canvas (UW-Madison).
Application and Limitations
Kaltura MediaSpace is used to engage and communicate with learners. It can be used to divide students into groups for projects, keeps students engaged, and minimizes the work of the instructor in grading/giving feedback.
There is no limit to how much one can upload but Kaltura MediaSpace is not meant to be a permanent storage repository so it is recommended that one keep a local copy of important files. Processing should take no more than 24 hours. As always, content must comply with campus policies.
Avoid These Pitfalls
To ensure that your source file is quickly processed, while offering the optimal video and audio quality, please follow these recommendations:
- File Size: keep files under 2GB
- File Type: only upload mp4 video
- Upload Speed: 1 Mbps upload speed should be able to upload a 250 MB file in about 33 minutes. Video files take a while to upload from home internet connection, please take this into consideration.
- Download Speed: up to 4.2 Mbps download speed to view the largest, highest quality videos.
- Processing Time: Generally it takes about 2-3 times the video's duration for Kaltura MediaSpace to display an initial lower quality version of your video but can take up to 24 hours. If processing takes longer than 24 hours, contact DoIt.
See Recommended video source formats and specifications for all recommended settings.
Best Practices / FAQ
- Kaltura - Frequently Asked Questions
- Kaltura - Best Practices / FAQ (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura MediaSpace - Recommended video source formats and specifications (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - Effective Practices for Creating Audio, Video, or Online Lecture Material for a Course
- Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - How to Edit Captions in Kaltura MediaSpace
- Kaltura - Creating, Editing, and Embedding Regular Playlists (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - Media Collaboration - Changing Media Ownership, Adding Editors and Publishers
- Kaltura - Searching and Filtering Search Results
- Kaltura - Requesting Changes Including Ownership, Download, Co-Editor/Co-Publisher/Co-Viewer and Restoring Deleted Media (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - How to Upload Videos to MediaSpace using Your Phone (UW-Madison)