Environmental Engineering Online - Steps to Apply
The admissions process has been designed to conduct a holistic review of your likelihood of success in the program. Decisions are based on your academic and professional background.
To start the process, please read the admission requirements to determine your eligibility. If you have questions about your eligibility, please request an eligibility review by e-mailing Daryl Haessig at firstname.lastname@example.org. This e-mail should include a copy of your current resume and informal transcripts.
Applications are accepted for admission during the Fall terms. Applications are reviewed in the order received, on a rolling basis until the July 1 deadline. Admission is competitive and selective. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to submit application materials prior to the deadline.
Step 1: Email your Intent to Apply
Email the admissions committee chair and state your intent to apply and to which program. Attach your current resume or CV to your Intent to Apply email.
Your resume/CV should include at least:
- Educational history (including GPA, awards and honors received).
- Professional work experience (including specific details on your engineering experience, technical training, and responsibilities).
- Listing of professional association memberships, advanced training (such as a PE license) and other noteworthy, personal- or engineering-related details.
Step 2: Submit the Online Application
In the application be sure to:
- Upload a pdf version of your current resume/CV
- Upload a pdf version of your "Reasons for Graduate Study" essay
- Upload a pdf version of your transcripts
- Enter contact information for at least three professional recommendations, including at least one from a direct supervisor
- Important: Complete the application by submitting the application fee. Applications submitted without paying the fee cannot be reviewed and will not be acted on.
Step 3: Request Transcript
Arrange to have one copy of your official transcript sent directly from your previous educational institutions to the Department of Engineering Professional Development. Transcripts should be sent directly by the educational institution to the CoE Online Admissions Office.
We will accept transcripts via any delivery method options (including pdf) offered by the educational institutions you have previously attended. However, transcripts issued to students are not sufficient for admission to the Graduate School.
To avoid processing delays, have your transcripts sent directly to:
CoE Online Admissions Office
Attn: Daryl Harrison
432 N. Lake Street, Room 701
Madison, WI 53706
(For pdf’s, use the following email address: email@example.com.)
Step 4: Complete a Phone Interview
After all of your application materials have been received, the admissions committee chair will schedule a phone interview with you. Once completed, your application will be presented to the Admissions Committee for evaluation at the next scheduled meeting.
Step 5: Application Evaluation
Admission decisions are made on applications in the order received. The Admissions committee will make one of the following decisions:
- Recommend admission to the UW-Madison Graduate School
- Request additional information before evaluating further
- Decline further consideration of your application
After a decision has been made on your application, the admissions committee chair will contact you by email to inform you of the decision and to schedule a time to discuss the decision and your next steps.
The admissions committee provides admission recommendations to the Graduate School. The Graduate School is the formal admitting office for graduate students and retains ultimate authority on all admissions decisions.