Course Search & Enroll - Dropping a class
An overview and step-by-step guide to dropping classes using Course Search & Enroll.
When you are enrolled in a class, and choose to no longer participate or attend after the semester has begun, you need to officially drop the class.
Removing a class from your enrolled schedule before the “session begin” date is different, and described below.
To drop an enrolled class and add one from your cart in one action, please read about swap.
Dropping a class in Course Search & Enroll is very easy. However, dropping a class after the semester begins could have significant impacts on your academic plan, your status as a full-time student, financial aid, and more. You are always encouraged to talk with your advisor before dropping.
Please see below for information about drop deadlines, when your UW-Madison transcript may show a dropped class, and more.
- In Course Search & Enroll, go to the “My Courses” tab.
- In the Enrolled list, select the checkbox for the class you wish to drop.
- Select the DROP button that appears above the class.
- In the pop-up window, select the confirming Drop button.
- Return to your Enrolled list in the “My Courses” tab to confirm that the class you dropped no longer appears.
Find the right dates for your enrolled classes in the info section of your course section. In the information, select “Session Dates & Deadlines.” A pop-up will list all dates and deadlines for the course. All deadlines are by 11:59 pm that day.
The session dates table shows drop deadlines for all sessions in a term.