Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Compliance > Child Abuse & Neglect
Compliance - Mandatory Reporting - Training
Under Executive Order 54, all UW System employees are mandated reporters of child abuse and neglect and have an obligation to report directly to the authorities. At UW-Madison, this mandate includes volunteers and contractors working on behalf of the university. Employees (and volunteers or contractors) must understand their obligation to report, what to report, and how to report. To better understand the role as a mandatory report, new employees should enroll in the Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect online training.
- In accordance with the UW System Policy on Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect, all UW–Madison employees (under Wisconsin Executive Order #54), are required to immediately report child abuse or neglect to Child Protective Services or law enforcement if, in the course of employment, the employee observes an incident or threat of child abuse or neglect, or learns of an incident or threat of child abuse or neglect, and the employee has reasonable cause to believe that child abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur.
- Volunteers working for UW–Madison sponsored programs or activities are also expected to report suspected abuse or neglect.
- There is a mandated reporter online course from the Wisconsin Child Welfare Professional Development System.
- For the authoritative source on mandatory reporting at UW-Madison please visit Compliance - Mandatory Reporting - Child Abuse or Neglect.
New Employee Information
Instructions for completing training
- Navigate to Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect (OYPC)
- Click "Login & Register"
- Select "UW-Madison" as your organization.
- Select "NetID" and use your UW-Madison NetID and password to login (you may need to use MFA-Duo).
- Register for the event.
- Complete the instructions for the course.
When do I need to complete this training?
Complete the training within the first week of employment at Extension.
Why do I need to complete this training?
- All Division of Extension employees are mandated reporters of child abuse and neglect and have an obligation to report directly to the authorities.
- This course will educate employees on:
- Legal responsibilities as a mandated reporter
- Types of child abuse and neglect and definitions
- How to recognize child abuse and neglect
- How and where to make a report
- What happens after you make a report
- Protections for a reporter under the law
Where can I find more information
For general questions about Mandatory Reporting training, reporting obligations, and responsibilities as a UW-Madison employee, contact: