Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Hiring > Recruitment > Screening
Hiring - Recruitment - Screening - Anonymized Applicant Materials
Anonymizing application screening is the practice of removing personally identifiable information from application materials in order to reduce bias in the recruitment process. This may include, but is not limited to, name, gender, age, education, address, dates (such as graduation dates), photos, references, links to personal webpages, supervisor names, and/or citizenship. Anonymized application screening can be a method to increase diversity in hiring by reducing the effect that unconscious biases have on assessing applicants. The Division of Extension anonymizes all applicant materials for recruitments.
- Applicant tracking systems, such as TREMs do not have the capacity to anonymize (redact) applicant materials.
- All new recruitments for the Division of Extension will be fully-redacted for all candidates before the selection process (screening) begins.
- ASU contacts the Hiring Manager and will request the name of the individual redacting for the recruitment.
- The Hiring Manager will provide ASU with the name of the redactor.
- ASU will include the redactor in emails regarding the recruitment once the position posts.
- ASU will notify the redactor once the Box folder is set up for redacting applicant materials.
- The redactor will record the applicant names and applicant numbers in the applicant crossover spreadsheet and send to ASU.
- The redactor will redact all applicants for the assigned recruitment in the folder of application materials ready for redaction.
- The Search & Screen Committee will notify ASU which applicants will be moving forward.
- ASU will provide the committee with the un-redacted materials for applicants moving forward.
Hiring Manager Responsibilities
- Determine who will be redacting the applications and communicate the name/email of that individual to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Hiring Manager should select one of the following redactors:
- Stacey Evans - Areas 1 - 8 (AED Hiring Manager)
- Terry Kraft - Areas 9, 13-14, 16-19 (AED Hiring Manager)
- Jennifer Brindley - Areas 10-12, 15, 20-22 (AED Hiring Manager)
- Extension HR Student - All other recruitments (branded programs, statewide, campus, etc.)
- After the position posts, ASU (typically an HR Assistant) will contact the hiring manager requesting search committee, administrative support, and redactor information.
- ASU will notify the redactor about the box folder that is set up for redaction.
- ASU will include the redactor on the kick-off email for the recruitment once the job is posted.
- ASU can meet with the redactor to walk them through the redaction process and will answer any questions along the way.
- ASU will take the redacted candidate crosswalk and will provide the unredacted materials for any candidates moving forward to the committee.
Extension Redactor Responsibilities
- Complete applicant crosswalk spreadsheet and send to ASU.
- Redact all applicant materials for federally protected information and anything that discloses details about protected classes (see guide to blinding applicant materials).
- If the protected class of a candidate is relevant to the job qualifications or job duties, it should not be redacted (if you have any questions related to this, please contact email@example.com).
- If there are any questions related to redacting information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.