Topics Map > Employee Handbook > 1.3 Onboarding > 1.3.1 All New Employees
Topics Map > Operational Support Resources > 4.5 Educational Technology Support > 4.5.6 Microsoft 365, Sharepoint, & Teams
DoIT - O365 - How to Change Your Preferred Name
Employee legal names by default display in uppercase and use full first names and middle names. Employees can update their preferred name to display in proper case, use nicknames instead of full first names, and not display their middle name.
- Every employee in Extension has a legal name that is set in their Human Resources System (HRS) record.
- Legal names by default display in all-uppercase when an employee record is created.
- Legal names by default display full first name and middle name or initial.
- Change the format of the O365 account profile name to be proper case (e.g. "Nathaniel Shay" vs. "NATHANIEL SHAY").
- Use a nickname instead of a legal name (e.g. "Nate" vs. "Nathaniel").
- Not have a middle name display at all (e.g. "Nathaniel Shay" vs. "Nathaniel J Shay").
How to Change Your Preferred Name
My UW - Preferred Name Application
- Navigate to the MyUW Portal and log in with UW-Madison NetID and password.
- Click on "Personal Information" tile
- Update your preferred name.
The preferred name here will be displayed in Office 365, MyUW, and the UW Directory.