Topics Map > Employee Handbook > 1.11 Travel & Reimbursement
Topics Map > Operational Support Resources > 4.6 Financial Services
Topics Map > Operational Support Resources > 4.4 Dean's Office

Travel - Business Travel - Get Approved for Out of State Travel

Extension has a policy on out of state business travel that requires submitting an out of state travel form for approval PRIOR to booking flights or registering for conferences outside of Wisconsin. The workflow below does not include requests for out-of-state travel for professional development. There are several exceptions and exclusions that apply so please review carefully prior to submitting.


  • This form should only be used for out-of-state travel business travel and for out-of-state professional development travel that is not requesting funding.
  • If you need out-of-state travel approved for professional development  that is requesting funds, please follow the Professional Development Funding workflow.
  • There are several traveler exclusions and exceptions (see below). The form is needed for all other out-of-state travelers and funding (such as 104, 143, etc.).
  • Submit the request form prior to booking flights or registering for conferences outside of Wisconsin.
    • There is one exception for travel by car to neighboring states (see below).


  • If the travel is to any of Wisconsin's neighboring states (i.e. Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa) AND travel will be by car the out-of-state travel request does NOT need to be submitted.

Traveler Exclusions(s)

  • County-based educators traveling out of state on county funds that were approved at the county level (if county-based educators travel out of state on Division of Extension base funds or professional development funds they would still need to complete the process below);
  • Integrated Specialist faculty and staff whose travel expenses are processed by another campus;
  • Budgeted travel on grant funding (144 & 133);
  • Travel on gift funding (233);


  1. Complete the Out-of-State Travel Approval form.
  2. Have your direct supervisor or Area Extension Director review and sign the form.
  3. Forward the form for review and approval by the relevant Associate Dean.
  4. The form will be returned to the traveler with the Associate Dean's signature.
  5. The traveler should include the signed form as an attachment when they submit their eTER.
  6. The eTER involving out-of-state travel will be reviewed for the fully-signed form prior to approval.
Date of Last Update: June 17, 2022
Date of Implementation: November 1, 2016
Last Update By: Karl Martin

Keywords:Out-of-State,Travel,Approval,Business-Travel   Doc ID:97659
Owner:Nathaniel S.Group:Extension Handbook
Created:2020-02-05 15:13 CSTUpdated:2022-06-17 11:38 CST
Sites:Extension Handbook
Feedback:  0   0