Topics Map > Operational Support Resources > 4.7 Human Resources > 4.7.9 Ending Employment
Ending Employment - Offboarding Checklist - Human Resources
A list of critical components that an Extension HR and ASU OHR should complete when an employee leaves the organization as part of the offboarding process.
Prior to Last Day
- Ensure resignation designates the last day on payroll and last day worked.
- Ascertain whether or not the employee is going to work for another UW-System Institution or State Agency.
- Ensure resignation and acceptance emails are sent to ASU.
- Offer departing employee well wishes, link to offboarding materials and offer an exit interview.
- Forward notification to email@example.com.
- Conduct exit interview (if requested by employee)
- If the employee is retiring and has applied for emeritus status, but their request will not be processed before their retirement date, email retiredID@ohr.wisc.edu to set up the employee as a Retiree to ensure continued access to certain campus facilities and IT tools.
Administrative Services Unit (ASU)
- Work with employee to determine last day on payroll (Payroll & Benefits).
- Calculate remaining accrued leave balance and inform employee.
- If employee is going to work for another UW-System Institution or State Agency, work with that entity to ensure that leave balances transfer appropriately.
- Work with supervisor to ensure that employee has completed necessary offboarding tasks.
After Last Day
- Work with supervisor regarding next steps for vacancy (supervisor initiates this process).
- Review exit survey feedback from departing employee.
- Update HRS appropriately.
- ETF will provide the departing employee with information on ending or continuation of benefits (COBRA).
If Employee is Supervisor
- Work with employee's supervisor to determine who will be the new or temporary approver for all of the supervisees.
- Update "Reports To" manager in PMDP for all supervisees.
- Update TL Security in HRS to new or temporary time approver for all supervisees.
- Update "Reports To" manager in HRS to new or temporary supervisor for all supervisees.
- Generally updated twice: once to an interim supervisor and then to the replacement supervisor after a recruitment has been conducted.