Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Hiring > Post-Degree Appointments
Hiring - Post Degree Training Appointments - Start Here
Hiring managers who are interested in hiring a post degree appointment (Research Intern, Research Associate, Postgraduate Trainee, Postdoctoral Fellow) should follow divisional instructions in this article.
Hire a Post Degree Training Appointment
- A post degree training appointment is an individual who is not a matriculated student and who is appointed primarily for the pursuit of advanced study or research, usually at the postdoctoral level.
- Post degree training appointments are persons who are normally acquiring additional training or experience in their field of specialization.
- The work of individuals appointed to these titles should be independent or self-directed, subject only to such supervision as might be given by a teacher to a student. Such work should be contrasted with duties assigned under the direct supervision and control of the employer primarily for the benefit of the University or granting agency.
- Post degree appointments are not processed like other hires (are not processed through JEMS PVL, TREMS, Student Jobs Platform, etc.).
1) Verify that Hiring a Post-Graduate Appointment is Appropriate
- Ask yourself these questions when determining if a post-graduate appointment is the best fit:
- Will the position work in pursuit of advanced study or research?
- Will the employee be continuing training after the receipt of a degree in order to gain additional training or experience?
- Will the position be heavily mentored?
- Review relevant Policies & Procedures:
- Office of Postdoctoral Studies - Policies
- Post Degree Training Salary Minima
- Post Degree Training Appointments & Titles
- Unclassified Appointment Definitions - Post Degree Training Appointments & Titles
- Policy UW-5005 - Non-Service Appointments
- Research Internships Job Board
- Research Associates (Postdoc Training) Job Board
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org a draft position description if you're unsure.
2) Create a Request to Fill
3) Submit to Extension HR for Review
Email the completed RTF to email@example.com.
4) Divisional Approval
Extension HR will review and circulate for divisional approvals using Adobe Sign.
5) Post Position (If Recruiting)
- UW-Madison offers two job boards for posting post degree training appointments
- If hiring managers would like Extension HR to post at one of these sites, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hiring managers are encouraged to post the position more widely at their own discretion.
6) Send Extension HR Final Candidate Information
Once you have identified a final candidate, send email@example.com the following information:
- A copy of the final candidates up-to-date CV/resume.
- A copy of the final candidates' diploma or transcripts (and license if applicable).
- Whether or not this position will be a Position of Trust.
7) Extension HR & ASU Process Appointment
- Verify completion of all requirements
- Review CV for eligibility for title
- Review post-secondary degree requirements
- Review previous appointment(s)
- Prepare appointment letter
- Enter into JEMS Hire
- Send appointment letter to supervisor (supervisor shares with employee)
- Send info to payroll and ASU and divisional onboarding lists.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.