Topics Map > Supervisor Toolkit > 2.1 Hiring > 2.1.6 Post-Degree Appointments
Topics Map > Operational Support Resources > 4.7 Human Resources > 4.7.1 Hiring
Hiring - Post Degree Training Appointments - Start Here
Hiring managers who are interested in hiring a post degree appointment (Research Intern, Research Associate, Postgraduate Trainee, Postdoctoral Fellow) should follow divisional instructions in this article.
- A post degree training appointment is an individual who is not a matriculated student and who is appointed primarily for the pursuit of advanced study or research, usually at the postdoctoral level.
- Post degree training appointments are persons who are normally acquiring additional training or experience in their field of specialization.
- The work of individuals appointed to these titles should be independent or self-directed, subject only to such supervision as might be given by a teacher to a student. Such work should be contrasted with duties assigned under the direct supervision and control of the employer primarily for the benefit of the University or granting agency.
- Post degree appointments are not processed like other hires (are not processed through JEMS PVL, TREMS, Student Jobs Platform, etc.).
1) Verify that Hiring a Post-Graduate Appointment is Appropriate
- Ask yourself these questions when determining if a post-graduate appointment is the best fit:
- Will the position work in pursuit of advanced study or research?
- Will the employee be continuing training after the receipt of a degree in order to gain additional training or experience?
- Will the position be heavily mentored?
- Review relevant Policies & Procedures:
- Office of Postdoctoral Studies - Policies
- Post Degree Training Salary Minima
- Post Degree Training Appointments & Titles
- Unclassified Appointment Definitions - Post Degree Training Appointments & Titles
- Policy UW-5005 - Non-Service Appointments
- Research Internships Job Board
- Research Associates (Postdoc Training) Job Board
- Email email@example.com a draft position description if you're unsure.
2) Create a Request to Fill
Guidance to Complete the RTF
- Date: Please enter the date you create the RTF.
- Main Contact: Please provide the contact information for the hiring manager if this individual is different than the supervisor.
- Position Supervisor: Please enter contact information for the individual who will be directly supervising and approving leave/time for this position (name and email).
- Backup Time Approver: Please enter contact information for the individual who will be backup approver for time and absence for this position (name and email).
- PVL Type: Please enter whether this will be a new or replacement position.
- Prior Incumbent: If a replacement, please enter the name of the prior incumbent (if replacement)
- Waiver/Direct Hire or Recruitment: Please indicate whether this will be a Waiver/Direct Hire or a Recruitment.
- Waiver Reason: Please review the Direct Hire Waiver Reasons and enter the reason for waiver.
- External or Internal Recruitment: Please indicate whether the recruitment will be internal or external.
- Justification (if Internal): Please write a brief justification for why the recruitment will be internal.
- Name of Hire (if Waiver/Direct Hire): Please indicate the name of the desired Waiver/Direct Hire.
- Recruitment Posting Duration: Please indicate the duration you would like the recruitment to be posted (e.g. 2 weeks, 4 weeks).
- Anticipated Start Date: Please enter the anticipated start date for the position (please note this does not guarantee that the position will start on this date). The position cannot start before this date.
- Ongoing/Renewable or Terminal/Finite: Please indicate if this position will be a renewable (ongoing based on funding and performance) or finite (position will have a terminal date).
- End Date Terminal/Finite: If the position will be terminal/finite, please indicate the proposed end date.
- Ongoing positions will always require a recruitment.
- Terminal/Finite positions can either be recruited, or use a waiver/direct hire.
- Employee Class: Please enter the employee class (this is determined by employee title and can be found in the Standard Job Description Library).
- SJD Title/Code: Please enter the proposed SJD Title.
- You can find the SJD Title/Code in the Standard Job Description Library.
- Business Title: Please enter the requested posting title and HRS business title.
- Work Location:
- Document whether this position will be expected to work In Person, Partially Remote, or Fully Remote.
- Please note that partially remote and fully remote positions will need to complete a remote work agreement
- Remote Work - Request a Remote Work Agreement
- Building/Location Code: Please enter the employee's regularly assigned work location.
- Requesting Space - Hiring Managers will need to request space for the new employee as part of the hiring process.
- Number of Positions: Please indicate the number of people who will be hired for this position (e.g. 1, 2, etc.)
- Department UDDS: Please enter the proposed UDDS.
- For programmatic positions this will match the primary program affiliation.
- Divisional HR - HRS - Division of Extension Department IDs
- Department Name: Please enter the name of the department associated with the UDDS.
- Salary Minimum: Please indicate if you would like the minimum salary posted.
- Yes: What amount?
- No: Should the position be posted as salary negotiable?
- If this option is selected, no salary will show on the posting at all and the salary range should be addressed through the recruitment process to align expectations.
- Appointment Percent: Please indicate the appointment percentage (e.g. 50%, 100%, etc.)
- FTE can generally not change at all during the first year of employment UNLESS a range is listed in the recruitment and/or waiver.
- Indicate that in the RTF to accommodate those that change FTE based on the time of year (e.g. FoodWIse)
- The range will need to be listed in the PVL when recruiting. If it is not listed this way in the recruitment, it is not possible to reduce FTE.
- If the position will not work the same number of hours each week, please indicate by checking the box (HR will discuss hourly appointment)
- Proposed Full-Time Salary: Please enter the proposed full-time salary for the position.
- This should be the full-time salary for the position and should not be prorated by FTE
- The Hiring Manager can indicate prorated information in the "Describe Funding" section.
- Approved Hiring Bonus: Enter a lump sum amount that will be 15% or less of the proposed starting salary. This will be advertised to applicants.
- Anonymized Applicant Materials/Redactions:
- Identify if your recruitment will require a standard or full redaction process.
- If your recruitment will be utilizing a full redaction process, provide the email of the staff member completing the redactions.
- Salary Details:
- This field allows for greater transparency regarding pay expectations for the position. You can also expand your narrative on total compensation (e.g. paid time off, workplace flexibility, career development opportunities, WRS, etc.).
- Indicate whether or not the salary is negotiable based on experience and qualifications by checking the box.
- Hiring - Recruitment - Additional Wording for Job Postings
- Describe Funding: Please include all funding strings with percentages.
- Depending on what position you are hiring, you will verify funding that will be used to pay for the position in one of your pre-approval conversations (Hiring - Recruitment - Pre-Recruitment - Requirements).
- Contact your financial manager (OFS - Resources - Financial Specialists & Managers Contact List) for the correct funding string(s). Send a short justification, including who is paying for the position(s) and where the funding will come from. Insert the funding strings and percentages provided.
- Additional Comments or Questions: Add any additional comments or questions regarding the position.
- County/Tribal Nation Served: Please indicate which count(ies) and/or tribal nation(s) will be served and include anticipated FTE for each.
- Area: If county-based, please include the Area associated with the count(ies) they will serve.
- Primary Program Affiliation: For individuals in a program-related role include the program affiliation.
- Operational Area(s): Document the employee's operational area(s) and percentage(s).
- Extension HR will work with the hiring manager to fill this out.
- Divisional HR - Operational Areas
- How to Apply: If you have additional application instructions/requirements you would like your applicants to follow, please include them here.
- Additional Information: Please enter any additional information regarding the position.
- Total FTE the position will supervise: Please enter the Full Time Equivalent (FTE) this position will supervise
- Can be partial;
- Include any student employees and indirect reports.
- Job Summary Detail: Please describe the position in detail as it relates specifically to your unit. This information will display on the job posting.
- Essential Responsibilities: Copy the essential responsibilities from the SJD and assign a percentage of effort to each essential duty (None can be less than 5% unless it does not apply, in which case a zero should be assigned).
- Unique Responsibilities: Include up to 4 unique responsibilities totaling no more than 20% of the total effort (none can be less than 5%).
- Education Required: Indicate if you would like to indicate minimum degree and area of specialization requirements other than the suggested minimum.
- Qualifications: Enter the knowledge/skills/abilities and other requirements a candidate needs to perform the job. Break this into required and preferred.
- If you are indicating physical requirements that are truly required for the job, these should also be included in the required qualifications section of the job posting. Refer to this article for more information: Hiring - Recruitment - Additional Wording for Job Postings
- Job Category: Extension HR will work with the hiring manager to fill out this section.
- Licenses/Certifications Required: Indicate any required licenses or certifications.
- Work Environment: Select any work environments that apply to this position.
- Work Environment Hazards: Select any work environment hazards that relate to this position.
- Tasks: You may add up to 15 specific job-related tasks (consult with firstname.lastname@example.org before adding).
- Advertising Summary (optional): Add language that you would like to use on the jobs.wisc.edu job board to attract applicants.
- FLSA Exemption Reason: Extension HR will fill out this section and consult the hiring manager as necessary.
3) Submit to Extension HR for Review
Email the completed RTF to email@example.com.
4) Divisional Approval
Extension HR will review and circulate for divisional approvals using Adobe Sign.
5) Post Position (If Recruiting)
- UW-Madison offers two job boards for posting post degree training appointments
- If hiring managers would like Extension HR to post at one of these sites, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hiring managers are encouraged to post the position more widely at their own discretion.
6) Send Extension HR Final Candidate Information
Once you have identified a final candidate, send email@example.com the following information:
- A copy of the final candidates up-to-date CV/resume.
- A copy of the final candidates' diploma or transcripts (and license if applicable).
- Whether or not this position will be a Position of Trust.
7) Extension HR & ASU Process Appointment
- Verify completion of all requirements
- Review CV for eligibility for title
- Review post-secondary degree requirements
- Review previous appointment(s)
- Prepare appointment letter
- Enter into JEMS Hire
- Send appointment letter to supervisor (supervisor shares with employee)
- Send info to payroll and ASU and divisional onboarding lists.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.