Topics Map > Operational Support Resources > 4.4 Dean's Office
Topics Map > Supervisor Toolkit > 2.1 Hiring > 2.1.1 Recruitment
Topics Map > Operational Support Resources > 4.7 Human Resources > 4.7.1 Hiring
Relocation Support Approval
Support for relocation expenses for employees may be provided dependent upon availability of funding, review of the criteria listed below, and approval from Associate Dean of Policy, Operations and Stakeholder Engagement.
Division of Extension Relocation Request Process
Prior to making an offer to provide a relocation award, the Hiring Authority must:
1) Review Criteria
Determine whether it is in the best interest of the Division of Extension to provide relocation support. The following circumstances should be considered:
- Are the individual’s skills in critically short supply? If yes, is payment usually available from competing employers?
- Is the labor market tight for this particular position?
- Does the individual rank above all other candidates in a combination of training, experience, and personal qualities?
- Will the best qualified individual for the position be unable to accept the institution’s offer for financial reasons unless relocation expenses are paid?
2) Identify Available Funding
In some cases, upon approval of the Associate Dean of Policy Operations, and Stakeholder Engagement, the Dean’s Office may provide funding up to $3,000 for relocation stipends for co-funded county-based educators. In all other cases, funding must be identified within the hiring unit.
3) Obtain Approval
Obtain approval by submitting a fully completed Relocation Request Form to the Associate Dean of Policy, Operations, and Stakeholder Engagement for review, approval and signature.
In completing the form, please note that relocation payments in the Division of Extension are typically in the form of a Relocation Award (stipend) and not a direct reimbursement of moving or lodging expenses.
4) Provide Relocating Employee Copy of Approved Form
When approval for relocation expenses is granted, the Associate Dean of Policy, Operations and Stakeholder Engagement will return a copy of the signed approval form back to the Hiring Authority. The Hiring Authority must provide the relocating employee a copy of the signed approval form. This must be attached to an Expense Report (eTER) submitted by the receiving employee in order to initiate payment.
For further information, see UW-Madison Administrative Policy #3079