Topics Map > Employee Handbook > IT Resources
ETS - VoIP/Cellular Services - Policy
Cellular/Mobile policy for Extension employees.
UW-Madison’s DoIT only allows authorized users to place orders for VoIP or cellular service. Extension has identified a number of people to be authorized users within the program areas, Dean’s office and operations. Please view the Authorized Users document to identify who is able to order VoIP or Cellular services on your behalf, or use the DoIT Voice Services Authorized User Lookup tool.
As a division of UW-Madison, Extension voice and telephone services will comply with UW-Madison’s Voice/Telephone Services policies.
UW-Madison Telephone Policy
Please see the UW-Madison Telephone Policy for details. In general, it states:
● Telephone services are intended for business purposes.
● Each department is responsible for monitoring the use of telephones under its jurisdiction.
● DoIT provides access to the Calero Pinnacle website, for viewing monthly reports. See Telephone Activity Report - Viewing your monthly report
Extension cellular service usage must comply with UW-Madison guidelines on usage and funding for University-funded cellular service. Please see the document for details. In general, it states:
● Schools/Colleges/Divisions/Departments are authorized to obtain University-funded cellular service for employees in positions where the associated benefits justify the cost to the University. Employees who travel or have job responsibilities that include being out of their office or are continuously on call for extended periods are good candidates for assigned cellular service. Such determinations shall be made by the School/College/Division/Department.
● University-funded cellular service/phones are intended for University business only. Personal use is prohibited, except for essential personal calls/texts of minimal duration and frequency. Monitoring and review of usage is the responsibility of the supervisor to make sure there is not excessive personal use.
● State DOA has a mandatory contract that must be used for the purchase of cellular services.
US Cellular and Verizon are the vendors on contract from which services may be purchased. There may be a one-time equipment cost depending on the device selected. There will also be a monthly charge based on the service plan selected.
The following plans are the recommended service plans. If the device will be used for international travel, the Authorized User needs to contact DoIT to temporarily change the device to an international plan during the time the device is out of country.
● 425 Shared Voice Minutes (shared with all other lines on UW contract)
● Unlimited Data (25GB DTL)
● Unlimited Messaging
● WiFi Hotspot
● Unlimited Voice Minutes
● Unlimited Data (22GB of High Speed then throttles)
● Unlimited Messaging
● WiFi Hotspot
Available plan can be viewed on the Cellular Service Pricing knowledge base article.
Extension does not provide centralized funding for cell phones. It is the responsibility of the unit, area, or institute to identify funding support for the cellular request. The unit, area, or institute funding code will be provided in the Justification for Cellular Service document. Faculty or staff who are interested in requesting cellular support should initiate the request through their Department Chair or primary supervisor.
- Obtain approval for cellular service from the supervisor and funding authority (when funding authority is different from supervisor).
- Complete the Cellular Justification of Business Need
- Send a copy of the Cellular Justification of Business Need to your Authorized User (see ETS - VoIP/Cellular Services - Authorized Users for Purchasing)
- The Authorized User will place the order with DoIT