Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Hiring > Student Hourly Hire > Determine Start Date
Divisional HR - Recruitment - Student Hourly - Determine When Your Student Can Start Work
Once a job offer is approved by the Administrative Services Unit (ASU) Office of Human Resources (OHR), the student employee will receive an automated email with next steps. They will need to accept the job offer and complete the required paperwork from ASU OHR BEFORE they can begin employment.
- Hires will be processed at the start of an upcoming pay period. ASU OHR will confirm a start date once the request is received. Please allow up to 2.5 weeks to process.
- ASU OHR requires that Madison-based student employees complete New Employee Orientation and I-9 before their first day of work.
- If you student hire requires a Criminal Background Check (CBC) this may delay the start date.
- ASU OHR will update the applicant's status once the student has been cleared to start work.
- If your student will need to drive a vehicle for business purposes they will need to complete UW-Madison's Vehicle Use Authorization. Work with them to complete these instructions.