Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Hiring > Recruitment > Pre-Recruitment
Hiring - Recruitment - Pre-Recruitment - Business Title Guidelines
UW-Madison has identified broad business title guidelines to ensure the utilization of titles commonly found across external markets to describe work being performed in a particular job. The Division of Extension provides additional guidance for how Extension Business titles will be used.
Extension Business Title Guidelines
- Business Cards
- Email Signatures
- Department Websites
- Internal and External Communications
- Name Badges
- Office Signage
- Vacancy Announcements
- Employee Directories
A Business Title Should
- Provide a more specific description of the job to facilitate business communications.
- Add clarity to the job function, group and classification assignment in describing the individual job.
- Align with professional and industry practice.
- Align with other business titles within a job group or work unit.
A Business Title Cannot
- Duplicate a title of record for a different job (if the title of record adequately describes the job, a business title is not required).
- Misrepresent the university or the authority of a position in any way. For example, a Business cannot include “Director” if the title of record does not designate the position as a director-level position.
Your supervisor, Extension HR, Divisional HR and in some cases DLT, will review and approve the use of business titles.
For individuals that have earned a “Distinguished” title, that may still be used in Business titles going forward. Other prefixes, such as Associate and Senior, will not be used.
Common Extension Business Titles
|Business Title||Title of Record|
|4-H Program Educator (Previously 4-H Coordinator)||Outreach Specialist|
|[Program] Program Coordinator (e.g. Horticulture Program Coordinator)||Outreach Specialist|
|[Institute] Extension Educator||Outreach Specialist|
|FoodWIse Nutrition Coordinator||Outreach Specialist|
|FoodWIse Nutrition Program Administrator||Outreach Specialist|
|FoodWIse Nutrition Teaching Coordinator||Outreach Specialist|
|Health Community Coordinator||Public Health Educator|
|FoodWIse Nutrition Educator||Outreach Associate|
|[Topic or Program] Associate Extension Educator||Outreach Associate|
|[Program] Program Manager||Outreach Program Manager|
|Area Extension Director (AED)||Administrative Director|
|[Institute] Institute Director||Outreach Program Director|
|[Program] Outreach Specialist||Outreach Specialist|
When a business title is identified for a job, that title will be used, rather than the title of record. Requests for exceptions will be approved by the supervisor.
When variations or adjustments to these recommendations are necessary, please consult with your supervisor.