Emeritus status is an honorary designation conferred upon retirees to recognize their contributions and accomplishments over their university careers. Requirements include completion of ten or more years of distinguished service at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and permanent employee status at the University of Wisconsin–Madison with eligibility to receive an annuity from the Wisconsin Retirement System. Emeritus status is available to academic staff, university staff, and faculty. Recommendations begin at the department level and proceed through the Dean's office to the Office of the Chancellor.
Academic Staff, Faculty and/or Limited Appointees
- The retiring employee initiates this process.
- Recommendations for emeritus/emerita status for retiring faculty, limited appointees, academic staff, or university staff must be approved at the division level before proceeding through OHR and finally the Chancellor’s Office.
- For the Division of Extension, the Dean’s Office will review and approve all emeritus/emerita status recommendations.
- If the employee holds a tenured or affiliate appointment in another department on campus, please confer with that department directly to coordinate the recommendation.
- Recommendations may be submitted throughout the year.
- Initiate the Process
- Retiring employees can work with their supervisor and/or academic vice-chair/chair to gather the required materials.
- Gather Required Materials
- A narrative summary citing the professional accomplishments and record of university service of the retiring faculty or academic/university staff;
- Faculty appointments should author a brief one-page statement of accomplishments.
- Expected date of retirement (copy of retirement letter that was sent to AED or supervisor);
- Current CV for tenured faculty requests.
- Suggested, but not required through 6/30/2025.
- Required for all faculty requesting emeritus after 7/1/2025.
- Sample CVs and writing tips can be found at the Writing Center
- Send for Review & Approval
- Faculty Appointments
- Submit the brief statement, retirement letter, and CV to the Department of Extension Faculty (DEF) Chair (email@example.com).
- The Department of Extension Faculty Executive Committee convenes to vote on recommending Emeritus status.
- The DEF Chair submits the statement, retirement letter, CV, and DEF support to the Dean and cc's: the Executive Assistant to the Dean & Director of Extension (firstname.lastname@example.org), the appropriate supervisor, and the academic section vice chair.
- Limited, Academic Staff, University Staff Appointments
- Send all materials to the Dean and cc: the Executive Assistant to the Dean & Director of Extension (email@example.com).
- Ensure continued use of campus facilities or IT tools (if emeritus status has not been approved)
- If you reach your retirement date and you have not yet been set up with Emeritus status (your materials have been submitted for review, but have not been approved), please email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your retirement date.
- Extension HR will work with the Office of Human Resources (email@example.com) to ensure that there are no breaks in the ability to access the campus libraries and other services granted to retirees.
Receive a Certificate of Recognition signed by the President of the Board of Regents, the Chancellor, and either the Secretary of the Faculty, the Secretary of the Academic Staff, or the Secretary of the University Staff.
- Automatically be added in HRS as having emeritus/a status; UW–Madison identification cards must be retained to use the university libraries, recreational and other facilities.
- Retain listing in UW–Madison electronic directory.
- Automatically retain WiscWorld (Internet) privileges and continue to have access to specific DoIT services and products. For more information, please see: Help Desk (Emeriti) - Steps to take before your access to Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics changes
- Receive a value pass through one of the Transportation Services offices once each fiscal year, which allows free parking 24 times per year in garages with the new access and revenue control gate system.
- Receive a reduced cost city bus pass. Note: this privilege is reviewed annually by UW Transportation Services and is subject to change without notice. Contact Transportation Services to obtain the bus pass.
For a brochure explaining the privileges of retirement and Emeritus status, please see:
Privileges for UW–Madison Retirees and Emeriti