UW-Madison Google Workspace - Export Data Using Google Takeout
Google Takeout allows you to export data from your UW-Madison Google Workspace account into a file that can be uploaded to a different Google account. This tool is a great option for individuals leaving UW-Madison.
Note: Google Takeout will only export data that you are the owner of. It will not export data that has been shared with you. View workaround.
Export Google data that is owned by you.
Log into UW-Madison Google Workspace with your NetID and password using the following URL:
If you have multiple UW-Madison Google Workspace accounts, select your desired account from the list provided.
If you only have one UW-Madison Google Workspace account, you will be logged into your account automatically.
Don't see the account you are looking for? You may need to link your Office 365 service account to your NetID.
- Navigate to Google Takeout. You won't find a link in the navigation menu, so you'll need to type the URL directly into your browser: https://myaccount.google.com/privacy#takeout
Scroll down the page and click on Download your data, located under the Data from apps and services you use section.
- Google defaults to including all data from across all Google products in your takeout. If you would like to only select specific services for your takeout, click Deselect All at the top of the page and then mark the check box next to each Google product you want to export data from.
- Once you are satisfied with your included data, select Next Step at the bottom of the page.
- The next page allows you to select the destination, frequency, file type, and size of your export. Once these settings are to your liking, click on the Create Export button.
- Your export has begun. Please note that this process may take some time before your data will be ready for download. If at any time you need to cancel the export, click on the Cancel Export button.
Option 1: Create a zip file
- Log into your UW-Madison Google Workspace account using your NetID and password.
- Select the Shared with me folder.
- Select all or select preferred Google files that you would like to export.
- Right-click on selected Google files and select Download.
- Log into your personal Google account.
- Go to Google Drive.
- Upload the Shared with me file into your personal Google account.
Option 2: Drag and drop files between two applications
- Download and install Google Drive client from https://www.google.com/drive/download/.
- Open Google Drive client.
- Open a browser and log into your UW-Madison Google Workspace account.
- Drag and drop folders and files between the Google Drive client and your browser.