How to Appoint Short-Term Trainees on NRSA Training Grants
Enrolled UW Students (Graduate or Professional)
- Students can be payrolled as “Trainees” (Title code Y23NN, Program 9, Account 5712 for “A” basis)
- Third-Party deferral can be done using regular procedures.
- Students must be registered for courses during their tenure as trainees.
- If the grant does not pay tuition/fees, students must pay the full amount of tuition/fees.
Non-Enrolled UW Students (Graduate or Professional)
- Graduate or professional students doing short-term research can be payrolled as “Graduate Intern/Trainee” (Title code X75NN, Program 2, Account 1151 for “A” basis).
- Fringe benefits for this title are at the Research Associate/Graduate Intern rates (typically lower than trainee).
- Trainees can be paid via Payment to Individual Report (Program 2, Account 5709)
- Postdoctoral trainees can be payrolled as “Postdoctoral Trainee” (Title code X30NN, Program 4, Account 2720 for “A” basis)