External Agency Fellowship Supplementation Policy
The Graduate School automatically provides supplements to some external agency fellowships and will consider requests to supplement other external agency fellowships.
External Agency Fellowship Policy: May 25, 2017
In general, University policy requires external fellowships to cover the cost of tuition and fees. If the external funding agency does not provide tuition and fees, the student, his or her department, or advisor is expected to take the responsibility for them. UW-Madison does allow for remission of out-of-state tuition for students on external fellowships that provide stipends of at least the equivalent to that of a 33.3% RA.
The Graduate School will make the following exceptions to this policy as funds allow:
- The Graduate School can only supplement fellowships for which the student is payrolled through the university. The student must request to the sponsoring agency that the fellowship be payrolled through the university if that is not the default procedure.
3. The following fellowships have been determined to be prestigious and are automatically approved for supplementation:
- BTAA/Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (only those winners affiliated with the Big Ten Academic Alliance competition)
- Eurasia Program Fellowships
Academic programs may request supplementation from the Graduate School for external fellowships its students receive that are not on the approved supplementation list. Note that these requests must come from the academic program in which the student is enrolled, not from individual students or advisors. If a program is requesting supplementation for a fellowship not on this list, it should:
- Complete the External Agency Fellowship Supplement Request Form. The request must include the details of the funding provided by the external fellowship and what resources are being requested, as well as, details on the supplementation already committed by the academic program or school/college.
- Return the completed form and a copy of the fellowship offer letter to the Fellowships, Funding, and Diversity Initiatives Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. The completed form must be submitted at least three weeks before the fellowship tenure begins.