Topics Map > Admissions
Topics Map > Enrollment
Topics Map > Degree Completion
Topics Map > Policy Updates

Graduate/Professional Certificate Coordination - Declaration, Graduation, Assessment, & More

This document summarizes key processes and resources for coordinators and directors of graduate/professional certificates.

All Graduate students are required to declare their graduate/professional certificate through the Graduate Student Portal (MyGradPortal) in MyUW. Not completing the declaration process means students will not be considered as enrolled in the program by data offices on campus, even if they are taking courses that meet program requirements. The university has a policy on program review for Low-Award Producing Programs that includes graduate/professional certificates. If a certificate appears to have few students enrolled, it may then be considered low-award producing and be subject to the policy, including the triggering of a program review and potential discontinuation. The data visualization Trends in Degrees and Related Data may contain useful information for certificate programs. 

Through the MyGradPortal, students can indicate their intention to add, change, or discontinue a major, doctoral minor, or graduate/professional certificate. When a Graduate student indicates the intention to add a graduate/professional certificate, the credential coordinator, and sometimes director, will receive an email notification to accept or deny the student.  If the student is accepted, a notification will be sent to the Graduate School, and the graduate/professional certificate will be added to the student's record in the Student Information System (SIS).  If the student is denied, the student will receive an email notification.

**Please note, only Graduate students (those in majors within the Graduate School) can declare credentials via the MyGradPortal.  Professional students (Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, etc.) are not able to access the portal, and therefore, the program coordinator must accept and declare them through the process established by the Registrar's Office.  Certificate coordinators should become familiar with the Managing Student Plans and Sub-plans (Majors, Certificates, and Optionshandout from the Registrar's Office. These are instructions, including screenshots of SIS, for how to correctly declare students in a certificate. Coordinators will need to be able to access the Records and Enrollment > Dean/Dept Processing > Major/Certificate Requests section of SIS; if they do not have access, this must be requested through the the SIS authorization form and the SIS Compliance form.  They need to request the Student Records Inquiry role (SR_IPUBL) and should write in SR_MAJ_DECL under additional roles. If coordinators already have SIS access, and just need access to the Major/Cert declaration page, they can simply complete the form and only write in SR_MAJ_DECL under additional roles. If they already have authorization for both roles in SIS, they can email Debbie Moy and request access to declare students in the specific certificate. 

Certificate coordinators must contact the Registrar's Office ( each term with a list of students who have completed the certificate so that the award will appear both on the student's transcript and in university reporting data. Following the declaration process above does not automatically lead to students being awarded the certificate.

All graduate/professional certificates are required to submit at least one learning outcome and a learning assessment plan to the Provost's Office annually. This should be an effort led by the faculty in each certificate. More information about learning outcomes and assessment plans can be found here

Updating Contact Information
The Graduate School keeps a program/unit directory that programs are expected to update as there are changes in staffing. The directory includes a Search by Minor/Certificate section that includes all graduate/professional certificate contacts (as well as capstone certificate and doctoral minor contacts). Instructions for how to update the directory can be found here. If you do not have access to edit your certificate's contact page, please contact Emily Reynolds (contact information below). 

Governance and Policy
Programs interested in creating a new certificate, suspending admissions to a certificate, or discontinuing a certificate can find information and relevant proposal forms on the Office of Academic Planning and Institutional Research's website. Any questions regarding graduate certificates can be directed to the Graduate School (contact information below).

Relevant contacts:

Graduate School (Questions about creating a new certificate and suspending admissions to or discontinuing a certificate)
Assistant Dean, Academic Analysis, Planning and Assessment

Graduate School (Questions about existing certificates)
Academic Planner, Academic Analysis, Planning and Assessment

See Also:

Keywords:certificate, certificates, graduate certificates, graduate certificate, assessment, certificate assessment, declaration, certificate declaration, certificate coordination   Doc ID:76809
Owner:Emily R.Group:Graduate School
Created:2017-09-22 11:30 CDTUpdated:2022-05-31 12:57 CDT
Sites:Graduate School
Feedback:  0   0