Add, Change, Discontinue Major Training

This document contains information for graduate program coordinators who review add, change, or discontinue program requests made by students. Currently enrolled students have the option to add a major, change their major, or discontinue their major through the MyGradPortal. Students must check with their intended program (if adding or changing their major) concerning admissions requirements including letters of recommendation or statements of purpose. Graduate program coordinators review the request and make a decision. The Graduate School notifies students of the decision regarding their submitted request upon receipt of recommendation from the program.

Add, Change, Discontinue Program page on Academic Policy & Procedures: 

Link to MyGradPortal: 
Graduate School Add, Change, Discontinue Major Training PDF:

Add, Change, Discontinue Major FAQ: 

Q: I have submitted my review of the student’s request to add or change their program.  Is the student notified?

A: Yes, the student is updated through automatic emailed communication when an approval or denial is updated in the MyGradPortal system.

Q: I approved a request that I should not have.  Am I able to delete a reviewed request?

A: If the decision has not yet been updated in SIS by the Grad School staff, yes you may delete your approval. In order to delete an approval log into MyGradPortal and click “review history”.  In the “actions column”, click “delete review”.  The student will then be notified that their request was denied. However, if the decision was updated in SIS, that program is now a part of the student’s plan.  The student would then have to submit a discontinue program request at that time.

Q: I approved a student’s request to add the program already but the student’s plan in SIS has not been updated.  Who should I contact?

A: Contact Meleah Cue or Elena Hsu in Academic Services.  Once they see that the request has been approved, they can add the program to SIS.  


Q: I am having issues reviewing a student’s request.  Who can I contact to help me troubleshoot?

A: Please contact Kipp Cox, Academic Services Director. 

Keywords:add/change/discontinue major   Doc ID:84239
Owner:Kipp C.Group:Graduate School
Created:2018-07-24 10:21 CDTUpdated:2020-10-14 14:44 CDT
Sites:Graduate School
Feedback:  0   0