Topics Map > Research Policy and Compliance > Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) > Human Subjects Research Training
Instructions for Linking Previous CITI Training to Your NetID
A linking request should be completed when an individual has completed previous CITI human subjects training that is not linked to their UW NetID (e.g., the previously completed training does not show up after logging in through the UW CITI Portal).
Who should complete a linking request?
- Individuals who have completed UW CITI courses in a CITI account that is not linked to their NetID (i.e. you did not complete your training by logging in to the UW CITI Portal).
- VA personnel who completed their VA CITI training in a non NetID linked CITI account.
- New UW staff who completed training at a previous institution but did not select “I already have a CITI Program account” when first logging in through the UW CITI Portal.
Who should not complete a linking request?
- Personnel or collaborators outside UW-Madison, UW Health, or the Madison VA with previous human subjects training that will remain at their institution. See more information on external personnel training here.
- If you only have one CITI account and it was created using the UW CITI Portal, you do NOT need to submit a linking request to link your account to your NetID. The UW CITI Portal automatically creates an institutional username that is linked to your NetID.
- If you selected “I already have a CITI Program account” when first logging in through the UW CITI Portal and entered the credentials for your previous account, your previously completed training should be linked to your NetID-linked account. If it appears your previous training did not link, please complete a linking request.
Important: Do not attempt to request mergers directly from the CITI Program. Doing so may result in damage to your accounts and significant delays.
Below are the steps to complete a linking request.
- Record the CITI account member ID(s) you want linked to your NetID:
- Log in to your CITI account at www.citiprogram.org
- Write down the CITI member ID that is at the top right of the "Main Menu" page.
- Label this number “Member ID Number(s) to be linked”
- If you have more than one CITI account that you would like linked, log in to those accounts and record those member IDs also.
- Log out of all CITI accounts.
- Log in to the UW-Madison CITI portal using your NetID credentials – this will automatically create new CITI account that is linked to your NetID, OR if you already have a NetID linked account, you will be logged into your NetID linked account.
- The portal webpage above has instructions for requesting a NetID as well as NetID password help, if needed.
- After entering NetID and password,you will be re-directed to the CITI website.
- Write down the CITI Member ID that is at the top right of the "Main Menu" page.
- Label this number “Member ID Number for NetID linked CITI account.”
Note for users with training from other institutions
If you completed CITI training at an institution other than UW-Madison or the Madison VA, you will still need to complete some of the modules within the UW-Madison/Madison VA course after the merger is completed. To determine which modules are required complete the following steps:
- Log in to the UW CITI portal using your NetID.
- Add the relevant UW-Madison human participants training course to you account (see instructions on how to add a course, step 2).
- After adding your required course(s), you will be credited with any identical modules completed at your previous institution.
- To finish your required course, complete the modules that show as incomplete.
Once the merger (and, as necessary, any leftover modules) is complete, your training will be visible in theand ARROW after the next download of data from CITI. Downloads of training data from CITI occur at 12:00 am, 6:00 am, 12:00 pm, and 6:00 pm CST.
If you experience any difficulty, please contact the Office of Research Compliance at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-262-1703. Support is provided Monday - Friday during normal business hours.