Topics Map > Research Policy and Compliance > Research Policy Advisory Committee (RPAC)
Topics Map > Project Agreements and Intellectual Property > Intellectual Property > Intellectual Property Policies & Procedures
Policy on Tangible Research Property
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Policy on Tangible Research Property relates to ownership, access, and distribution of tangible research property. This policy is intended to address the university's responsibilities relating to the management of tangible research property, including, but not limited to:
- Promoting the principles of openness in research and complying with sharing guidelines generally accepted in the scientific community as described in federal granting agency guidelines and scientific journal policies;
- Complying with the terms of sponsored project agreements;
- Ensuring the appropriate transfer of animals, human tissue, recombinant DNA, disease-causing agents, radioactive materials, and the like;
- Supporting university personnel in securing and protecting intellectual property rights;
- Complying with the terms of managed conflicts of interest that may arise when university investigators have outside financial interests; and
- Guiding the appropriate transfer of tangible research property for both research and commercial uses.
This policy applies to all University of Wisconsin-Madison faculty, academic staff, visiting scholars, postdoctoral fellows or other trainees, research technicians, and graduate or undergraduate students and any other persons at UW-Madison involved in the design, conduct or reporting of research at or under the auspices of UW-Madison, and it applies to all research projects on which those individuals work, regardless of the source of funding for the project.
Click here for pdf copy of Policy on Tangible Research Property