Topics Map > Campus Services > WiscList > WiscList Custom
WiscList Custom (Mac) - Generate an SSH Key Using Terminal
This document describes the procedure of generating an SSH key using the Terminal application and then submitting the key to WiscList Custom.
Completing WiscList Custom Setup
When your request for a Custom WiscList is approved, you will be sent an email notification containing a link to complete the setup procedure. Clicking the link will bring you to a page within WiscList Custom that will allow you to enter the name of the data set you intend to upload to WiscList Custom as well as the SSH key you intend to use for authentication.
Enter a name for your data set in the appropriate field. This name is case sensitive and must be the exact file name you intend to submit to WiscList Custom.
If you have not prepared your data set, follow these instructions: WiscList Custom - Dataset Format Instructions
Generating an SSH Key Pair
look like this:
- Open the Terminal application found in your Applications directory (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app).
- Enter the following:
ssh-keygen -q -f ~/.ssh/id_rsa -t rsa, then press the Return key.
Note: This command will generate a directory called .ssh in your home directory. It is a hidden directory and may not be visible via Finder.
- When prompted to Enter passphrase, just press the Return key.
- When prompted to Enter same passphrase again, press Return.
- Navigate to the .ssh directory by entering
Note: This directory should now contain a public key (id_rsa.pub) and a private key (id_rsa). We will need to copy the contents of the public key into the WiscList Custom interface.
- Use the following command to display the contents of your public key:
- Copy and paste the text displayed into the appropriate field within the WiscList Custom interface.
- Finally, click Submit to submit your data set name and SSH authorization key to the WiscList Custom administrators.
Once your key has been submited, a WiscList Custom administrator will have to authorize your key before uploading your data set. Authorization may take up to 3 business days from the time it was submitted. You will be notified when your key has been updated and WiscList Custom is ready to receive your data set.