Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Kaltura
Kaltura - How to get a link or embed code to a video in MediaSpace (UW-Madison)
This is a tutorial on how to get a link or embed code for media you own in Kaltura MediaSpace.
Kaltura's documentation on this topic is available in their document Share and Embed Media.
- Launch Chrome or Firefox and go to Kaltura MediaSpace: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click on your name in the upper right corner of the screen and click on My Media.
- Search for or scroll until you find the piece of media you want to link to or embed. Click on it.
- After the media loads, click the Share tab located underneath the media item:
- After selecting the Share tab, you have the following options:
- Link to Media Page: If you would like to share a link to a video you can copy the link and also set the start and end times for the video. People you send the link to either need to have co-viewer, co-editor, or co-publisher access to the video as described in Kaltura - Media Collaboration - Changing Media Ownership, Adding Editors and Publishers . Alternately you can set the video to Unlisted under the publishing settings to let anyone view the link. Be careful to not set any videos which include copyrighted content to Unlisted. You can also be set a video to Published to either a public channel that everyone can view or an open channel which requires users to login with their NetID if you want to share the link to the video more widely but restrict it to UW-Madison users. For more information on publishing settings see Kaltura - How to change publication settings to media and channels in Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Embed: Embed code can be used to embed a piece of Kaltura media in a website HTML page or other online tool . After you click the Embed tab you can set the start and end times for the video, and select the player and player size from the list of options at the bottom of the sharing tab. Finally you can copy the 'Embed Code' and paste it in your own HTML page or other online tool. Embed code overrides entitlements and publishing settings. Depending on where you use the embed code, it could make the media public to the world - be thoughtful about where you embed media and what you are embedding. For information on how to use embed code in your site, please see the documentation for your site or tool.
- oEmbed: oEmbed code is often used for WordPress and Pressbooks. Media using oEmbed links must be published as unlisted. For more information on publishing settings see Kaltura - How to change publication settings to media and channels in Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) . Click the 'oEmbed' tab and select the player skin and player size from the list of options at the bottom of the sharing tab. Finally you can copy the oEmbed link and paste it in your WordPress or Pressbooks page. More information on using oEmbed is available in Kaltura - Embed Media Using oEmbed (WordPress) (UW-Madison) . For oEmbed to work on your WordPress site, you WordPress admin would have to have implemented the steps found in this document: Kaltura - Enabling MediaSpace oEmbed in WordPress (UW-Madison) .