Topics Map > Campus Services > WiscWeb CMS
WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Embedding KB Documents in Pages
This document addresses the issue of why we do not currently offer the option to embed KB documents into WiscWeb pages.
Per a discussion that occurred between WiscWeb and UMark on 8/28/18, it was decided that we will not be moving forward with creating a page element or shortcode for embedding KB documents into pages in the UW Theme. This may change in the future if the UW KnowledgeBase API is augmented to provide more easily consumable content, but for now, there is no plan to move forward with this technology.
UMark has provided the following as rationale for this decision:
- The KB is primarily for internal audiences. By allowing customers to embed KB articles into pages, this content would be visible to external audiences.
- The KB is soon to be redesigned and as such, the way it looks and functions may significantly change. Therefore, working on a fix now might mean we'd have to completely redesign it very soon.
- Websites and the KB have two different purposes. The kind of content that is displayed in a KB should remain in the KB.
- If a document is more closely aligned with what should be displayed in a webpage, remove it from the KB and add the content to a page of the website.
- If a document is more closely aligned with what should be displayed in a KnowledgeBase document but is relevant to a webpage info, link out to it from the webpage.
- Use the KB Search plugin to allow for some integration with the KnowledgeBase.