Topics Map > Campus Services > Office 365
Office 365 - Transition from WiscList to Office 365 Groups
This document will provide step-by-step instructions on how to move your distribution list from WiscList to an Office 365 Group.
This information can be used to add the WiscList members to the Office 365 Group - via Step 3 listed below.
Step 2: Create an Office 365 Group
- NOTE: Skip this step if you created a Microsoft Team for the group that you plan to transition from WiscList. Your Microsoft Team automatically created an Office 365 Group. The membership of that group will match with the membership of your Team. This group is hidden. Group owners can manage the visibility of the Office 365 Group.
Step 3: Invite colleagues to your Office 365 Group
Important: This process can only be used for users/addresses that are within UW-Madison's Office 365 tenant. If you want to add an address that is external, say email@example.com, you will need to use Outlook on the web to add them.
- Invite multiple members - You can import multiple members into your Group within the Wisc Account Administration site. View instructions below.
- Log into the Wisc Account Administration website.
- Enter your NetID credentials
- Select"My Account"
- Select "Office 365" > "Groups"
- Select a group that you own and click on "Check Ownership"
- If you are an owner of the Office 365 group, you will see an option to "Enable Advanced Administration". Click on this setting.
- Return to Group name and click on "Administer Group"
- Select "Members" from the left hand menu.
- Click on "Click here to add a list of members"
- Enter the NetID's or email addresses you want added either space delimited or one account/user per line into the text box.
- Click on "Add Members" when done.
- Primary email address
- Email address must be associated with an email account that is fully migrated to the UW-Madison Office 365 tenant
- External email addresses can be added as a Guest
- Alternate email address not set as the primary address*
- Hidden email account*
- Email address associated with an email account that is partially migrated to the UW-Madison Office 365 tenant
- Email address that is not migrated to UW-Madison Office 365 (ex: athletics.wisc.edu)
Criteria for inviting colleagues to an Office 365 Group
The following email addresses can be added to a group:
The following email addresses cannot be added to a group:
*Note: You can contact the DoIT Help Desk to request the Office 365 team to programmatically add an alternate email address or hidden account to your Office 365 Group.
Step 4: Transition mail flow from WiscList to Office 365 Group
- Configure your Office 365 Group to allow messages from outside the organization.
- Add your Office 365 Group as a member to your WiscList so it is the only member of your list.
Office 365 Group members and guests can continue to post to the original WiscList until it is deleted.
Step 5: Start using your Group
Step 6: Archive WiscList messages (optional)
Step 7: Delete your WiscList
- Confirm no important mailings are still using the @lists.wisc.edu address (if Option 1 in step 4)