Computer Warranty Information
How to find the best warranty for your computer.
Apple warranty status: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/
Should I Buy an Extended Warranty?
The main advantages of an extended warranty are an increase in warranty length and accidental damage protection. Most computer repairs occur within the first few years of ownership. While there is no guarantee that if you purchase an extended warranty you'll end up using it, a manufacturer's extended warranty may be worth it if you plan on owning the computer for a few years. If you end up having to use the warranty it can save a large amount in repair costs beyond the cost of the warranty.
What Extended Warranty Should I Purchase?
- Sold directly by Apple
- See https://www.apple.com/support/products for the most up to date information about AppleCare Products.
Dell Extended Warranties and Accidental Damage Protection
- Sold directly by Dell
- More information can be found at: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/help-me-choose/cp/supportservicesforhome
Third party protection plans
- Applicable for any computer, price varies by the cost of the computer
- Flexible amount of coverage
- May cover accidental damage, theft protection, and/or hardware defects depending on the plan
- Usually can be used at any service center that is authorized to repair your computer
- An example of this is Safeware, which is offered by the University Book Store: https://www.uwbookstore.com/merchlist?searchtype=all&txtSearch=safeware
- Sometimes computers will be covered under homeowner's insurance
- This will often cover theft as well
- This may only be useful if your deductible is low enough. For example, if your deductible is $500 and the computer you purchased was $1,200, it may not be as efficient as purchasing an extended warranty