This document describes the procedure of generating an SSH key using the PuTTYgen application and submitting the key to WiscList Custom.
Completing WiscList Custom Setup
When your request for a Custom WiscList is approved, you will be sent an email notification containing a link to complete the setup procedure. Clicking the link will bring you to a page within WiscList Custom that will allow you to enter the name of the dataset you intend to upload to WiscList Custom as well as the SSH key you intend to use for authentication.
Enter a name for your dataset in the appropriate field. This name is case sensitive and must be the exact file name you intend to submit to WiscList Custom.
If you have not prepared your dataset, follow these instructions: WiscList Custom - Dataset Format Instructions
Generating an SSH Key Pair
In order to generate your SSH key pair you will need the PuTTYgen application, which is available for free download here: Download PuTTYgen
Follow these instructions once you have PuTTYgen installed:
- Run PuTTYgen and click the Generate button.
- Move your mouse cursor over the blank space in order to generate a random key pair. You should notice the progress bar at the top of the application proceeding as you move your mouse.
- Once the process is completed, copy and paste the public key from the top of the PuTTYgen window into the
SSH Authorization Key field in WiscList Custom.
Note: Make sure your public key does not contain any "new line" characters. Review the screenshots below to ensure you are copying and pasting the correct information:
COPY the key from PuTTYgen:
PASTE the key into WiscList Custom:
- Go back to PuTTYgen and click Save private key. PuTTYgen will warn you about saving the key without a passphrase. Click Yes and give your private key an appropriate filename. You will need your private key in order to upload your dataset.
- Go back to the WiscList Custom interface and click Submit. You have now submitted your SSH key to WiscList Custom!
- On the next page, click the button to view your key and verify that it does not contain line breaks.
Once your key has been submitted, a WiscList Custom administrator will have to authorize it before uploading your data set. Authorization may take up to 3 business days from the time it was submitted. You will be notified when your key has been updated and WiscList Custom is ready to receive your data set.