Topics Map > Campus Services > WiscMail
NetID - Eligibility Policy
This document details the eligibility policy for the UW-Madison NetID.
Campus ID Requirement
All UW-Madison students and current faculty/staff must have a VALID UW-Madison Campus ID number in order to activate and keep their NetID accounts. New UW-Madison faculty and staff who need to activate their NetID prior to obtaining a Campus ID number must contact their HR department.
You may have a Campus ID number even if you do not possess a physical UW-Madison photo ID card.
Who is Eligible for a NetID?
- Students registered in the current semester are eligible for a NetID and UW-Madison IT services such as My UW-Madison and Office 365.
Note: Students studying/working abroad must retain their registered student status with UW-Madison to remain eligible.
- Former students are eligible for a NetID and access to My UW-Madison only. For more information, see Former Students - Accessing My UW-Madison.
- All applicants are eligible for a NetID and access to My UW-Madison during the application process.
Current Faculty and Staff
- Faculty and staff with a current, active UW appointment at UW-Madison are eligible for a NetID and UW-Madison IT services such as My UW-Madison and Office 365.
- UW Hospital, Clinics and UW Medical Foundation employees are eligible for a NetID and access to My UW-Madison only.
- Student employees on the Madison campus from other institutions (non-Madison UW, MATC, Edgewood) are eligible for a NetID and access to My UW-Madison only.
Note: Student employees enrolled at UW-Madison are eligible due to their student status.
Retired Faculty and Staff
Departments at UW-Madison may choose to extend some or all UW-Madison IT services, including a NetID, to affliated persons or groups. Eligibility may be revoked at any time at the department's discretion. Examples of affiliated persons or groups include guest lecturers or speakers, consultants, and students in special programs.