Topics Map > Self Help/Limited Support > Linux/Unix
AIX 5.x - Enforcing Password Complexity
This document explains how to require complex passwords on AIX 5.x systems.
Note: This documentation is intended as a reference for server administrators only. If you are not sure you are running a server, please check with your local IT staff before following these recommendations.
The following settings contained in /etc/security/user on an AIX 5.x system can be used to define system password policy:
- minalpha = 4 <----sets the Minimum number of Alpha characters
- minother = 1 <----sets the Minimum number of Other characters
- minlen = 8 <----sets the Minimum length
- mindiff = 4 <----sets the Minimum number of different characters
- maxrepeats = 3 <--- A character may not repeat more than 3 times in a password
Further documentation can be found here: http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/files/aixfiles/user.htm
UW-Madison's Password Policy can be found here: [Link for document 58601 is unavailable at this time.]