HIPAA - FAQs for the 2018-2019 HIPAA Privacy & Security Training
This document provides answers to frequent questions regarding HIPAA training for academic year 2018-19.
Canvas Course Information
- course name: 2018-2019 HIPAA Privacy & Security Training
- Canvas course number = 94693
- The quiz and certificate are not supported via mobile devices or from a laptop connected via a cellular network. For best results, please complete via a desktop with an Ethernet connection.
- A customer's browser should be up-to-date and have Flash player enabled.
Congress enacted legislation
- HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
There are two parts of HIPAA. Title 1 protects health coverage when workers change or lose their jobs. Title II requires the establishment of national standards for electronic health care transactions.
- HITECH - Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act of 2009
Granted the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services the authority to establish programs to improve health care quality, safety, and efficiency.
The "2016-2017 HIPAA Privacy and Security Training" launched on 2/22/2017 for employees at UW-Madison as of 2/17/2016. For this group, the training is due on 3/31/2017. For anyone hired after that date, HIPAA training will be enrolled and completed on a rolling basis (within 5 day of employment).
There is just one training track offered this year, "HIPAA Privacy @ UW". Once a student has gone though the materials, they need to complete the quiz of 10 questions with a passing grade of 70%. The results go into the Gradebook. UDDS information is also being fed into the Gradebook for reporting purposes.
- UW-Madison HIPAA: https://compliance.wisc.edu/hipaa/
- General Training Info
- Contact List for Privacy Coordinators: HIPAA -- Privacy Officer and Coordinators
Privacy coordinators can answer questions such as:
- What to do if their appointment changed
- The customer doesn't think they should take training
- The customer know which version of training to take
- The user thinks they already completed the training
- Instructions for Privacy Coordinators: https://kb.wisc.edu/hipaa/page.php?id=59670
- HIPAA Knowledgebase: https://kb.wisc.edu/hipaa/
- Online HIPAA Training Guide (2018 - 2019 UW-Madison): http://hipaa.wisc.edu/hipaa-training.htm
This can offer answers to the inquiries listed below:
- Purpose of the 2018-2019 UW-Madison online HIPAA Training
- When will the training be available?
- Deadline for completing the training
- What if I miss the deadline?
- Intended Audience
- Workforce in UW Health care component
- Questions about whether an employee must take this training
- How to Access the course
- Access for UW workforce within the UW Health Care Components
- Completing the Course
- Estimated time for completion
- Completing the course in more than one sitting
- Course Navigation
- Case Scenarios
- End of Course Test
- Certificate of Completion
- Access to certificates
Trainees' Pre-Course Questions Question or Issue Answer "I've already completed the UW-Health HIPAA training. Do I need to complete this training again?" Yes, you need to complete the UW-Madison HIPAA training every year. "I want to take the HIPAA training but am not enrolled, or I am not a UW-Madison employee." Youcan self-register to take the course (as a guest) at talent.wisc.edu. "I want to take the HIPAA training and am a New Hire." Youcan self-register to take the course at talent.wisc.edu. "Someone other than my manager is telling me to complete the training." Youwere identified by a HIPAA Privacy Coordinator as someone who needs to completethe UW-Madison HIPAA Training. If youthink this is incorrect, contact the most appropriate HIPAA Privacy Coordinatorat compliance.wisc.edu/hipaa.
During Course Issues
Trainees' During Course Questions Question or Issue Answer "What are some best practices to minimize technical issues?"
- Use the latest version of your browser
- Use a computer that is connected to the network via an Ethernet cable
"I completed the course content, but I get an error when I try to access the quiz."
- After you have reached the end the course content, close out of your browser window. Your completion will not register until you have closed the window, and you will not be able to access the quiz until your completion registers in Canvas.
- If you reenter the course content, you will be asked if you want to resume where you left off. Make sure to say yes.Saying no will erase your completion data.
Trainees' Post-Course Questions Question or Issue Answer "I have passed the quiz. Where can I verify my completion of the course?" After you complete the HIPAA Training Course, you can verify your completion in your training transcript at talent.wisc.edu. "I need help saving/reprinting my certificate."
- There is no "certificate" with this training course.
- Individuals can verify completion in their training transcript at talent.wisc.edu.
- If someone says they need "proof" of their completion they can print the information available at talent.wisc.edu.
Manager Post-Course Questions Question or Issue Answer "I'm a manager and want to know who has completed training." Contact your privacy coordinator for information about completion reports. "I'm a manager and an employee is missing from my report." It is likely we have the incorrect UDDS information entered into the Gradebook for this person. Contact your privacy coordinator to have this updated. "I am not a manager and want to know if a specific researcher has completed training." HIPAA online training course completions can be looked up via Tableau at dataviz.wisc.edu.