Topics Map > Campus Services > Office 365
Microsoft 365 - Reduced access to services due to an affiliation change
If your affiliation with UW-Madison changes, you will begin to receive a series of “reduced access” email notifications that will let you know that your access to Office 365 services will be reduced.
Please note, this document is not intended to do the following:
- Recommend an affiliation type a user needs to gain access to a service they would not be eligible for.
- Determine why a user is losing access to certain services.
- Advise HR departments or the Registrar's office on how to change a user’s affiliation type.
This document does not apply to individuals who leave and have no affiliation with the university (e.g., faculty/staff no longer employed by UW-Madison or a student who does not graduate from the university). These individuals will receive deactivation notifications.
Backing up your data
The reduced access email notifications will include the following information:
- awareness of upcoming access change to Microsoft 365 services
- current affiliation group
- new affiliation group
- date when the change will go into effect
The following are some examples of scenarios when affiliation changes will trigger the series of reduced access email notifications:
- faculty retires and receives continued access to campus IT services
- faculty receives emeritus status
- faculty no longer employed by UW-Madison but is a UW-Madison alumni
Example of reduced access email notification
Note: In general, UW-Madison paid employees fall into groups A and B. Individuals who are not paid are more likely to be in groups C, D, or E. There are exceptions.
|Microsoft 365 Plans||A||B||C||D||E|
|Office 365 services/licenses|
|Azure Active Directory Premium (Plan 1)||X||X|
|Azure Information Protection Premium (Plan 1)||X|
|Azure Rights Management||X||X||X|
|Cloud App Security||X||X|
|Cloud App Security Discovery||X||X|
|Exchange Online *||X||X||X|
|Exchange Online (Plan 2) *||X||X|
|Information Protection for O365 Standard||X||X|
|Insights by MyAnalytics||X|
|Minecraft Education Edition||X||X|
|Office Pro Plus (Desktop Apps)||X||X||X|
|Office Web Apps||X||X||X|
|OneDrive for Business||X|
|Power Virtual Agents for Office 365||X|
|SharePoint Online (Plan 2)||X||X|
|Skype for Business Online (Plan 2)||X||X||X|
|To-Do (Plan 2)||X||X||X|
|Whiteboard (Plan 2)||X||X|
|Windows 10 Enterprise||X||X|
* Exchange Online provides access to email, calendar, people, contacts, and tasks.
- Leaving the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Help Desk - Leaving the University recommendations for HR/Managers/IT Support/Collaborators
- Microsoft 365 - What features are included in Microsoft 365?
- Microsoft 365 - What should I expect when I am no longer a Faculty, Staff, or Student?
- Microsoft 365 - Backup OneDrive for Business data
- Microsoft 365 - Your subscription has expired
- Microsoft 365 - What version of Microsoft Office is affected by a license change?
- Microsoft 365 (Windows/MacOS) - How are Office applications (Outlook/Word/Team, etc.) authenticated/configured?
- Microsoft 365 - How will a license change impact the Microsoft 365 license I purchased from the DoIT Tech Store?
- Microsoft 365 - What are recommended productivity tools after a license change?
- Microsoft 365 - Preserving organizational data due to a position change or retirement
- Microsoft 365 - UW-Madison student licensing
- Help Desk - Deactivation Timeline for Microsoft 365, Google, Zoom, Box, Qualtrics