Topics Map > OS and Desktop Applications > Virus
Symantec Endpoint Protection (Windows Vista, 7, 8, & 10) - Installation Instructions
This document describes how to install Symantec Endpoint Protection Antivirus (SEP) on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. For instructions on installing in Windows XP, please see
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is available to currently employed UW-Madison faculty and staff and to currently enrolled students. A version of SEP that is compatible with Windows Vista, 7 and 8 is available for download from https://software.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/security/home.cgi.
To start the installation:
- Ensure your computer meets the minimum system requirements:
- Processor: 1 GHz Pentium III
- Memory: 256 MB RAM
- Disk Space: 600 MB
- Display: 1024x768 resolution or higher.
- Locate the installer file that you downloaded. Once you find it, double click it to begin the installation. This may open a security warning. Click Run to continue the installation.
- If User Account Control (UAC) is activated, you will see one of the following screens:
If you get the above screen, Click Continue to proceed.
If you get the above screen, you will need to enter the appropriate password for your administrator account, then click OK to proceed.
- Several install screens will then appear:
- Once the installation is finished, SEP will run LiveUpdate to update SEP and install new definition files. You will see the following screen, which will disappear once the installation and updates have finished.
- Once installation is finished, you may need to reboot to insure all updates are installed.