Topics Map > Networks & Connectivity > Departmental VPN
PaloAlto GlobalProtect (Linux) - Installing and Connecting with VPNC
It is recommended to use the official Linux client from Palo Alto, which can be found here. However, Linux users can connect to VPN using a free, third-party client called VPNC. This document describes how to configure VPNC for common versions of Linux.
- To install the VPN Software, open command prompt and enter the following:
sudo apt-get install vpnc
- Create a configuration file
sudo touch /etc/vpnc/uwmadison.conf
- Using your prefered text editor, populate the configuration file with the following information: (You must run the text editor with root privileges i.e. sudo)
IPSec gateway uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu IPSec ID vpnw1sc2002 IPSec secret vpnw1sc2002 Xauth username $your_netid
- To connect run the following command. You will be prompted for your password.
sudo vpnc uwmadison.conf
- A successful connection will look like the following:
- To end the connection, run:
sudo killall vpnc