Topics Map > Campus Services > Course Search and Enroll
Course Search & Enroll - Swap Classes
This document explains how to swap classes using the Course Search and Enroll app
Swap is a special action that lets you enroll in one class and drop another in one move.
This is convenient if you are trying to enroll in a course when you’re not sure if you’ll get a seat — you can verify that you are able to enroll in that class before you’ve dropped one of your already-enrolled classes.
Quick steps to swap a class
- Add the new class to your cart.
- Select the checkbox for the class.
- Open the three-dot menu at the top of the cart and choose “Swap course.”
- In the pop-up window that opens, choose the class that you want to drop.
- Select the “Swap courses” button.
- Review “Enrolled” list on the “My Courses” tab to confirm that you have successfully enrolled in the correct section.
Why do a swap?
Swapping classes is useful when you really don’t want to drop a class first, before enrolling in a new class.
For example, if you have already enrolled for your maximum allowed credits for the term, you wouldn’t be able add another class without “making room” by dropping some credits. By using swap, the enrollment system will confirm that you are eligible and able to enroll in the new class, before completing the drop of the old one.
Swapping sections of the same class. - You can also use the swap feature to exchange one enrolled section for another, within the same class. If you are enrolled for a discussion section of GEOGRAPHY 101 at 9:55 am, and want instead to be in the 1:20 pm discussion, select that afternoon section and add it to your cart. Then follow the swap steps to enroll in the 1:20 pm section and drop the 9:55 am section.
Add and drop deadlines still matter!
Changes made using swap follow the same deadlines as regular add and drop. If you drop a class after the “no record on transcript” deadline for that class’s session, the class will show as a DR on your transcript. Read more about drop deadlines here.
How to swap
- Select the class to add
- Select the “Swap course” button
- Choose the class to drop
- When the swap is successful
- When the swap is not successful
In your cart, select the checkbox for new course (CLASSICS 373).
Then select the three-dot menu next to the “Enroll” button.
In the pop-up window that opens, select a class from your list of enrolled classes. Then select the “Swap courses” button to begin the swap.
You will see a confirmation message about the added and dropped classes. Visit your Enrolled classes list to see the changes.
Read the message about why the swap didn’t work. Find explanations of common error messages and what to do next on the Enrollment Help Desk page.
- Course Search & Enroll - Adding and Enrolling in Classes
- Course Search & Enroll - Drop a Class
- Course Search & Enroll - Permission and Approval for Course Enrollment
- Course Search & Enroll - Tips for Searching
- Course Search & Enroll - Common Issues and Error Messages
- Course Search & Enroll - Wait Lists
- Course Search & Enroll - Save a Course for Later Enrollment
- Course Search & Enroll - Scheduler tips