This document details the process of remote identity verification required for access to computer systems (HRS, SFS, UW business intelligence) as well as becoming a local registration authority (LRA) and obtaining a UW Digital ID certificate. This document also provides information for verifying someone for services such as a NetID password reset or Duo reactivation, as well as verifying the identity for an international customer that is unable to call in.
NOTE 1: Former employees attempting to access W-2/tax/earning statements via HRS should not apply for a digital ID. Instead, see: Former Employees - Access to Earning/Leave/Tax/Benefit Statements
NOTE 2: For those seeking identity proofing, you will need to submit a request using the process in this knowledgebase article: UW Digital ID - Customer - Identity Proofing
NOTE 3: It is recommended that those seeking identity verification contact the Help Desk via phone at (608) 264-4357 to set up a credentialing appointment.
Users seeking to complete the Digital ID identity verification process will need one document from each of the two following groups, while users seeking to complete the NetID identity verification process will need one document from any of the two following groups:
- A CURRENT government issued photo ID with a listed date of birth (driver's license, passport, etc.)
- A UW-Madison WisCard. NOTE: New employees without a WisCard should have an appointment letter from the division HR.
- More information on approved documents can be found here: UW Digital ID - Customer - Credentialing Process
A web conferencing session hosted via Blackboard will be used for the identification process.
- Please contact the DoIT Help Desk so an agent will be available Get help from the DoIT Help Desk
- Access the web conferencing session by clicking on the following link: DoIT Help Desk Identity Authentication
- Select YES when prompted for microphone access
- Use the audio test to ensure your microphone feed is working, then select "Yes - it's working" to continue
- Select YES when prompted for webcam/video access
- Use the video test to ensure your video feed is working, then select "Yes - it's working" to continue
- Select LATER when prompted to view the Blackboard tutorial
- At the bottom of the screen, click on the video icon to ensure you are sharing your video
- If the agent is not already present in the conference, they will join shortly to complete the verification process
After completing the verification procedure, the case will be escalated for further processing. Users can expect a response within 2-3 business days